Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Constipation  (Read 1483 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Constipation
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:56:45 pm »
Can goats get constipated? Reason I ask is that Toby's tummy is getting VERY round. If I didnt know better, I'd say he was pregnant. At one time, when I spent time with them, they'd poo for England, now I hardly ever see them doing it. Toby seems to be fine in himself, climbing and running around as usual, his eyes are bright and his coat is fine etc.
Should I put them on just hay for a day or 2, though that wouldnt be fair to Billy who isnt anywhere near as fat!

All help gratefully received as usual.

Thanks

Mary.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Constipation
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 04:13:54 pm »
Could be worms causing the appearance of bloat.
When were they last done & what with ?

Goats if they are not milking/pregnant, rarely need much in the way of additional feed.... just good quality hay ad lib.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 06:33:19 pm »
I try to remember to do them every month Wytsend, with something I got from the vets. Ill pop some more down them tonight to see if that helps. Thanks for the advice.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:33:20 pm »
One of our Boer crosses looks permanently pregnant when she's out in the field. You can imagine what she looked like when she was pregnant! She has 2 kids now and there is clearly nothing wrong with her, she just has a rumen full of grass, leaves and anything else she can find, and we have realised that this is just her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS