Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay, Straw and Fodder supplies  (Read 6817 times)

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
Hay, Straw and Fodder supplies
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:57:56 am »
As many of you may now when it comes to keeping livestock then having a good supply of feed at hand is a certain neccesity. If anyone here is in need of Hay straw or fodder os any sort within the ceredigion/carmarthenshire area then look no further than D.G.Hughes and sons, lampeter. The buisness is run by a close friend of our family where my father works full time as well as myself part time. any one needing something or infomation then dont hestitate to leave a comment or a PM , many thanks

Keith

Hardfeather

Re: Hay, Straw and Fodder supplies
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:55:31 pm »
What sort of price are 4x4 round bales of hay making with you at the moment?

They were selling for £48.50 last week at Lairg, I heard.

I bought twenty three bales of haylage (4x4) off the field last year, from the farm next door........baled, wrapped, and stacked next to the house, for £22 per bale. Some folk thought that was excessive, but I knew the prices would be high come this time, and I've been using it since November (to feed five horses) and I have 13 bales left, so I think I did well at that.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 10:32:55 pm »
Some prices are very high. I think you did ok with your haylage.

The place up the road from us (Central Saddlery) is charging £40 for a round bale of hay + delivery. The local farmer we get ours from charges us £25 a bale, and we go and pick it up and he pops it in the back of the transit. Very easy! Last bale of straw I got he only charged £10, but I think its normally £12 or £12.50

Beth

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 12:32:33 pm »
I am getting large round bales of haylage for £18 delivered. It is organic haylage , and the bales are really BIG ones not just ordinary round ones. Last year he was supplying ordinary large round bales at £16 delivered .The new ones actually work out cheaper as they have so much more in them . They are the biggest round bales I have seen so far ...lol . I think he treated himself to a new baler.....

Russ

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:59:17 pm »
Good quality round base sheep and horses hay is £20 a bale. We've gpt about 5000 small bales in stock of hay and straw, and about 600 hesston bales of straw and hay. Also round 1300 haylage bales here also. We also have loads coming in constantly nearly everyday.

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:22:02 am »
what sort of price are your heston straw?

where abouts are you, or what do you charge on delivery?
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:43:05 am »
Forgive my ignorance but what's heston straw?

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:19:56 am »
they are like an over grown normal bale  :) the ones we normaly use here are about.............8ft x 3ft
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 06:59:32 pm »
I just had 6 bales of very good quality hay delivered and stacked in my nissan hut...for £15 per bale. looking at what you are all saying I think I am lucky. My first load at the beggining of the winter was £12 delivered!
emma
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 07:08:22 pm »
You are lucky, whats heppeing its coming towards the end of the seaon and hay supplies ar running short so the price has rocketed.

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »
Almost dont want to post this on here as I am really very selfish but Fosseway fodder near shepton mallet for all us somersetians is fantastic, friendly top quality hay and straw (paper , shavings) including dust extracted hay and straw, at reasonable cost!  : ;)
juliag

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS