Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: long term preservation of pork...brine or smoking  (Read 4031 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
long term preservation of pork...brine or smoking
« on: July 29, 2011, 04:32:16 pm »
Anyone have experience preserving pork in order to avoid refrigeration?

Is this something a relatively intelligent person can do on her own with the help of an incredibly crafty(carpenter, welder, plummer etc) husband?

I would love to have a small smoke house.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: long term preservation of pork...brine or smoking
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:02:19 pm »
How long would you want to keep it for? Our bacon can last for months, and our salami's.

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:13:56 pm »
yes, I am thinking in terms of months or more if possible.

We have 4 hogs that will be ready for butchering in the fall (we will sell at least half of them).

This is our 3rd year of raising pigs and would like to continue to learn to be more self sufficient and do things ourselves.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:01:09 am »
Air dried ham is something you might want to consider, depending on what places you'd have to hang it. So long as you can keep it fly-free, and it's not really warm, it should keep for months.

There are lots of useful guides online, including this one: http://www.leegarlandphotography.co.uk/blog/index.php/2010/07/how-to-make-an-air-dried-ham/

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 10:20:38 am »
I tried salami's this year that were delicious, although very tough.  Here's a thread on it;

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=12223.msg139703#msg139703

The basic (milano) salami was my favourite although I didn't try the choritzo, that's for this year

Have fun.  I'm thinking of making a smoker as well so let us know how you get on if you choose this route.  I think I'm right in saying cold smoking (rather than hot) is the way to go if your aim is preserving. 

Ps. Dan, thanks for the link on the air dried ham.  Another project I think I'll give a go this year.  I'm absurdly prone to romanticising the past but I really like the way they ate fresh meat while it was cold enough to store ie winter and when the temps increased the salami's and hams etc would be ready.  Perfect

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:31:47 am »
I forgot to add, who is this "relatively intelligent person can do on her own" that you mention.  Don't forget we've read your views on politics ;) ;)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 01:05:29 pm »
I forgot to add, who is this "relatively intelligent person can do on her own" that you mention.  Don't forget we've read your views on politics ;) ;)

Oink!  You folks over there do have a sense of humor!!!!

I am honored you remember me even if it is for a negative in your eyes (my tea party political views).  Yesterday didn't look good.  Looks as if we are all in the crapper(economically).

Thanks for the link and encouragement on pork preservation.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS