Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: isolation  (Read 1986 times)

princesspiggy

isolation
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:58:31 pm »
how long would u isolate new stock before introducing to your existing flock? theyv all just been heptvac-ed for first time so im thinking 6 weeks before new or old stock have any immunity?

lill

• Joined May 2011
Re: isolation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:05:33 pm »
your isolation time can vary, but 6 weeks is to long, if anything is going to happen with disease then it would show within the 13 day standstill period, that why we have different standstill times for different animals  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 07:26:27 pm »
What ever period you feel comfortable with is the right one for you,so long as you wormed the new sheep then its foot problems and external parasites that you are isolating for :farmer: :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:07:09 pm »
i was more worried about pastuerella as mine have only just been jabbed and the newbie wasnt done at all. i didnt want to pass anything on to my existing flock.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 02:13:10 pm »
Heptavac is quite fast in giving immunity so i'd say that you would be more than safe to mix the stock straight off when worried about those particular diseases. Other diseases that the incomer may be carrying will show themselves within 13 days, or not at all in the case of enzootic abortion, foot problems and other long term diseases. Injecting/treating the incomer for sheep scab could also be handy if you don't know what other sheep to sheep contact it has had.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS