Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearwells Ear tags applicator SW Wales  (Read 3318 times)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Shearwells Ear tags applicator SW Wales
« on: August 06, 2011, 03:19:27 pm »
Does anyone have a Shearwells ear tag applicator they would be prepared to either sell or lend to us for use on just three sheep please?  We are Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire borders and have three to ear tag with the breeders tags (Shush I know it should have been done before they left the breeder but the weather was all wrong so I stuck them in my pocket and then realised I couldn't find an applicator to fit). 

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Shearwells Ear tags applicator SW Wales
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 08:00:31 pm »
I sure have  ;)    Drop me an email with your address and contact phone number etc and we'll sort something out.   I guess you've got the tags themselves.....just need to get 'em in the sheep  ;D   I can come and do 'em for you if you like.

:wave: :sheep:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 08:31:35 pm »
Not sure if this will be an issue or not ... but this year, the second year of compulsory EID sheep tags, the Shearwell applicator had to have an adjustment made.  If you had last year's applicator you got sent a different pair of jaws to put in them for this year's tags. 

2010 tags won't work with 2011 applicator jaws, and vice versa.

Just in case you have a problem and can't see why, I thought I'd mention it.

Cheers
Sally x
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 08:45:17 pm »
Ooo ...err.... :o   Well I've got last year's applicator which worked on last years tags and this year's tags  8)
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:23:40 pm »
Blinkers you are an absolute star.  Thank you.  Email on its way before I go back to teddy bear walking (with apologies to all Shropshire owners but I feel as though I am trying to teach a giant teddy bear to walk nicely rather than a sheep :)  Lovely creatures but so different in every way to mine.)

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 01:08:39 pm »
Sally you are right - with larger ears it might have been worth risking but with little BMW ears we decided it wasn't so I am giving in and calling Shearwell to sort it out for once and all.  Will teach me to be soft on my sheep!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 02:16:19 pm »
Not sure if this will be an issue or not ... but this year, the second year of compulsory EID sheep tags, the Shearwell applicator had to have an adjustment made.  If you had last year's applicator you got sent a different pair of jaws to put in them for this year's tags. 

2010 tags won't work with 2011 applicator jaws, and vice versa.

Just in case you have a problem and can't see why, I thought I'd mention it.

Cheers
Sally x

Seems the tags from 2009 have little sort of extra bits on the stem which makes them slightly longer than the current ones, so although they fitted in the applicator, they didn't quite line up when the jaws were closed and the thing just popped back out of the applicator.  ::)

Still, it was lovely to meet you and your OH Fronhaul, and to meet some of your lovely sheep AND that delightful Alpaca which i would have put in the car and brought home  ;D
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:50:59 pm »
Good to see you Blinkers.  Warrior is a character that is for certain.  The most inappropriately named animal I think I have ever met and certainly a long way from the quality of our best alpacas but a great personality and he loves guarding lambs. 

I gave in and called Shearwell and I have to say they were very helpful indeed and double checked the numbers for me and then rushed off to try and catch the post with the correct applicator.  So maybe Nevern will be at Pembroke after all.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 07:07:33 pm »
Good to see you Blinkers.  Warrior is a character that is for certain.  The most inappropriately named animal I think I have ever met and certainly a long way from the quality of our best alpacas but a great personality and he loves guarding lambs. 

I gave in and called Shearwell and I have to say they were very helpful indeed and double checked the numbers for me and then rushed off to try and catch the post with the correct applicator.  So maybe Nevern will be at Pembroke after all.

Brilliant.  I've always found them extremely helpful too and nothing is ever too much trouble for them it seems.    Delighted to hear Nevern will be making his debut at Pembs after all.
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS