Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rearing plan kunes  (Read 2478 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
rearing plan kunes
« on: August 04, 2011, 08:56:57 pm »
hi ime a newby to pigs..... i have 4  x 7 week old complete kune boys........ they have extensive free range with tons of weeds ie nettles , docks grass etc etc...intend killing at about 11 months..... now if i was rearing turkeys like this i would know what to do to get best weight for xmas but whats a good plan for these pigs, they are currently on a bag of weaner pellets, going on fattener pellets next?????    want bacon so whats a target killing weight.

HappyHippy

Re: rearing plan kunes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:30:05 pm »
Kunes don't need the extra protien levels found in fattener pellets - they'll end up VERY fat, stick with sow & weaner nuts or rolls.
The way I do it (with backfat results of around 15mm on the carcass) is to feed 1lb of sow and weaner nuts per pig, per day plus a bit of fruit and veg. There is no need to up the amount until there isn't any grass for them to graze on or you notice them drop condition, mine get 2-3lbs a day in the winter and a bit less if we have hay to feed them. If you're going through more than 3, 20 kilo bags of feed a month between the four of them you're over feeding. (but, if they have a worm burden they'll not use the food effectively and will need more to gain weight - another good reason for sorting the worm issue  ;))
Is there any size restriction in the abbatoir you intend to use ? If there is, you'll need to make sure they don't end up too big for them to take.
The usual for bacon is over 100Kg liveweight, but I've made bacon from pork weight pigs - it tastes just as good, it's just a bit smaller (my local abbatoir doesn't take them at bacon size  ::)) It would probably take over 11 months for them to be bacon weight - think Beewyched's 16 month old castrate tipped the scales at over the 100Kg - practice weighing them (tape measure and a calculation in the absence of a weigh scale) and just do it every month or so to see how they are progressing.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:37:58 pm »
should i free range them till slaughter or confine them as turkeys would be, or would that result in more fat

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:40:53 pm »
Let them free range, they're a breed that needs to grow slowly and with plenty of space to graze  ;)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:06:17 pm »
any  benifit it letting them go for say 15 months............. i was expecting them to graze but all they are doing is digging the grass over... i dont mind that if they also move onto the docks etc
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:10:31 pm by harry »

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:49:35 pm »
It's up to you when they go really, but the older they get, the tougher the meat will become. Not such a problem if it's bacon and sausages or burgers you're after, but if you're looking for some nice tender pork it's best to send them off earlier.
What is your abbatoir's weight limit ?
That will determine the maximum size you can let them grow to.
They should graze, not all Kunes do in youth though, sometimes they're a few months old before they get the idea. Or there's maybe something tasty smelling under your grass  ;) ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS