Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: keeping seeds from cucumber  (Read 2815 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
keeping seeds from cucumber
« on: August 09, 2011, 07:12:10 pm »
Heritage cucumbers.  I accidentally allowed one to become huge and so ripe it was orange.  I figured it would have the most mature seeds (if that even matters) so I cut it open stripped the seeds and rinsed them best I could.

Now what?  Do I just let them dry and store for next year?

Thanks!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: keeping seeds from cucumber
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:02:48 pm »
Since that's what you've done then allow the seeds to dry properly and then store in a dry jar.
Correct preparation method is to scoop the seeds with some pulp then chuck in a jamjar of water and allow to ferment for 2-3 days before cleaning up. drying and storing.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:04:27 pm »
Found this on the Univeristy of Illinois site:

Seed contained in fleshy fruits should be cleaned using the wet method. Tomatoes, melons, squash, cucumber and roses are prepared this way. Scoop the seed masses out of the fruit or lightly crush fruits. Put the seed mass and a small amount of warm water in a bucket or jar. Let the mix ferment for two to four days. Stir daily. The fermentation process kills viruses and separates the good seed from the bad seed and fruit pulp. After two to four days, the good viable seeds will sink to the bottom of the container while the pulp and bad seed float. Pour off the pulp, water, bad seed and mold. Spread the good seed on a screen or paper towel to dry.

Seeds must be stored dry. Place in glass jar or envelopes. Make sure you label all the containers or packages with the seed type or variety, and date. Put in the freezer for two days to kill pests. Then store in a cool dry location like a refrigerator. Seed that molds was not sufficiently dry before storage.

HTH.

(oops, beaten to it!)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:49:24 pm »
Very interesting, I was pondering how to collect seed from courgettes .I presume its the same.

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:25:00 pm »
Hey, thanks!  I wondered how you got the "snot" off each seed.

I do have another really ripe one (I forget to check the vines as I should.  It is amazing how they go from small half hotdog size to massive over grown ...something).  I will try this fermentation process.

? do the cukes have to be really mature or am I making a false assumption?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 04:54:53 am »

? do the cukes have to be really mature or am I making a false assumption?

Correct for a good seed recovery....but some of these cucumber/melon things have a mix of mature to juvenile seeds earlier on.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:32:59 am »
one rule in the seed saving handbook says on cucurbits that if you put the collected seed in water the ripe ones sink to the ground , the floaters you can throw away as they are not going to germinate. I hope I remember this in the right order as I can't find the book this minute... Good luck!  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS