Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: letting the chooks out of the run  (Read 1689 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
letting the chooks out of the run
« on: August 02, 2011, 04:05:00 pm »
HI

My 6 hens have a fairly large run - 4x4 meters - with lots of plants and climbing toys etc. They have been in there now for 5 months or so, because we are always at work or whatever and when we previously let our chooks free range the foxes had them. I have seen a fox run down our fenceline just last week so they are definitely about.

I was considering letting the chickens out into the garden as and when I am out and about with them. However they will then have access to about 13 acres, including the field with the foxes and I was a bit concerned that 1. if I want to go out I have to leave them out and 2. they wont find their way home at night, having never had such free range before.

What do you think?

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: letting the chooks out of the run
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:01:53 pm »
Not sure why you feel the need to do it? sounds like they have a great safe home already

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:45:47 pm »
if it aint broke dont fix it!

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:05:21 pm »
I was just wondering whether it would be good for them to get out and have fresh new grass to peck at etc.

Although, if you reckon its not necessary I am happy to go with that one!  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:13:34 pm »
Despite electric fencing and clipped wings, plenty of lovely stuff in the run and several mangy foxes about - a few of our hens insist on still escaping to free range. they do all come home in the evening (as it gets dusky and when the cockerel starts calling them back)  however, if they didn't escape I wouldn't be encouraging them to as its more luck than good judgement that allows them to come back safely each night (not to mention having to go egg hunting when 'fox food' decides to lay under the pampas grass, under the goat shed, in the rabbit hutch...)   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »
On our last farm we free ranged the hens, then I decided to pen them (a nice big pen), then I felt sorry for them after a few months and opened the gate to let them out again - they stayed where they were and didn't come out the whole day!  Quite happy!  Move things around a bit inside the pen for interest or add some branches or just a few straw bales which they love.  Don't be tempted, especially if fantastic mr fox is around.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS