Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: race against blight  (Read 2775 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
race against blight
« on: July 19, 2011, 09:22:42 am »
pricking infected leaves, digging up tatties early - the crop is not bad but I'd rather have waited until the foliage dies down...I find this race a bit tiring - so many other things don't get done! Bad tubers seem to have been the ones I planted - is that normal or did I bring it in with the seed potatoes? They seemed to be absolutely fine... :&>

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Re: race against blight
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:28:47 am »
loads of our plants and veg seem to be affected by rust, blight etc...must be the weather!
ET
in fact even my hair is turning a jaunty shade of orange  :P :P
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 11:37:02 am »
I have had blight as well  ::), better reword that my potatoes have had blight  :o

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:57:33 am »
Seed potatoes should be fine but I never save my own as they do seem to be far more prone to blight and I try to dig out all 'volunteers' ie those which come back up from last years crop.  The spores will be lurking in your ground, on old foliage or come floating in.  Weather conditions which allow blight to develop are warm and humid nights as well as days - over 10C
There are a few varieties of potatoes which claim to be blight resistant, most notably the Sarpo types.  Others include Lady Balfour and I think Cara.  There are some more but they are not at my fingertips.  I mostly grow the resistant varieties (except Sarpo whioch are quite coarse) but every year I also plant a couple of bags of Mayan Gold which are not resistant but they are so delicious - and we usually get a crop. 
If you have bad blight each year then perhaps you should just concentrate on Earlies so they have made their tubers before the blight gets them.  They won't store for long but at least you will get a crop.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 01:44:52 pm »
You can sign up free to blightwatch (www.blightwatch.co.uk) which email you alerts if blight is in your area, or if there has been weather periods which are conducive to blight (called a 'Smiths period'), essentially its a forecast service sponsored by the potato council! :spud:
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:57:21 pm »
I get the warnings but usually can see it myself anyway ;)
 yes, this year I was particularly late planting them - last year I planted the courgettes out on the cleared plot! :&>

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 02:22:49 pm »
ive grown sarpo mira this year again and theyre still in the ground and growing well i just rummage for them as i need them, the blight/disease resistance is excellent and i havent found them coarse at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS