Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pea flowers, or lack thereof  (Read 3448 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
pea flowers, or lack thereof
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:55:14 am »
I know I planted my peas and mangetout late, but they are now 3 feet tall and have absolutely no flowers on them.  Is this normal?  Am I just impatient?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: pea flowers, or lack thereof
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:41:32 pm »
It depends on the variety.  Oregon Sugar Pod grows to well over 6' tall (in spite of what it says on the packet), so would not get flowers until approaching that height.  I have Golden Mange Tout from the Real Seed Co and they are a couple of feet tall, growing quite slowly and not a sign of flowers.  Some podding pea varieties are very tall too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:11:29 pm »
I hope you have better results with the golden mange tout.  I grew them last year and was sadly disappointed.  perhaps I should just give up with peas/mangetout - i don't seem to have the touch.  i asked a local gardener about my peas and he thinks I am just too impatient and I have grown a tall variety too - so I hope you are both right!  Thanks.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:40:45 am »
I've rarely had much joy with peas - too many challenges around the environment but this year touch wood I have peas and mangetouts both around 3' high and the peas are in full flower :) 

Sadly I'm not sure what is different so can't guarantee to repeat in the future sadly, but I am looking forward to more than an odd pod while I weed in that area and quite possibly a few to bring indoors and actually use in the kitchen :o

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:49:51 pm »
What a difference in a week!  flowers coming! 

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 08:48:32 am »
My peas are producing pods :o  Can't see the mangetout ones yet and not sure I'll tell the difference until some get fatter and some don't ??? but I am so happy :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:04:28 pm »
I hope you have better results with the golden mange tout.  I grew them last year and was sadly disappointed.  perhaps I should just give up with peas/mangetout - i don't seem to have the touch.  i asked a local gardener about my peas and he thinks I am just too impatient and I have grown a tall variety too - so I hope you are both right!  Thanks.
You were right - the golden mangetout are a bit of a failure.  Only about half the plants grew to production age then the crop is sparse.  I think I'll stick to sugar snap peas which I love  :)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 12:29:27 pm »
Sorry that I was right.  :D. I love sugar snaps though - yummy.  I planted purple peas this year which collapsed because I didn't realise how big they would get, but the crop is absolutely amazing.  never had a better crop of peas.  Will definitely be growing them again next season.  i suppose we all learn from doing it wrong (reminder to self - put sturdy framework up for peas)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 04:58:54 pm »
Are your purple peas Blauschocker?  I grew them one year and they just went up and up - or rather they went up, then down when they got to the top of the mesh I had put up, then up again then back down, all concertina'd together.  Very heavy cropper but I thought the peas were a bit tough - mind you they had had a tough life  ;D 
I think growing my peas in the tunnel was a mistake this year, but the weather was so bad outside....  Each year when I see all the lovely pics in the catalogues I can't help but buy lots of different ones  :yum: :yum:  I always come back to the sugar snaps though - no wasted pods and always crisp and tasty.  I grew them the first year Thomson & Morgan had them in their catalogue bleep bleep years ago and have grown them ever since.  Shame about the yellow MTs - it was a good pic in the Real Seeds catalogue  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS