Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help with ear tagging  (Read 3283 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Help with ear tagging
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:06:34 pm »
Hi all  :wave:

Saturday is going to be a very sad and happy day for me,my first lambs are off to there new homes,i have the ear tags and machine to put them in but now im all in a tizz about actually doing it,i have seen it done before but its not the same as doing it yourself! tips please

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Help with ear tagging
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:09:11 pm »
make sure the individual number ends up on the outside of the ear so it's easy to read.

dont fanny about being soft in clenching the tagging pliers, be firm, it's easy then

ideally use tags that have a good reputation for the tag and applicator quality. we use allflex bubblegum, which are small enough and very good

waterhouse

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:37:27 pm »
And avoid the two big blood vessels. Usually easy to spot. Just be quick.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:34:45 pm »
Thanks for replys,well the deed is done,sold some lambs yesterday but got OH to tag them as i chickened out but today he went to work so i had no choice but to just get on with it,first tag was a complete diaster the lamb pulled back and made the ear bleed i couldnt believe it was dreading doing the other ear and then 9 more but all the rest went without a hitch so i am now feeling very proud of myself.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:14:46 pm »
gosh well done!! that's great work and another string to your bow!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 09:38:10 am »
Well done!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS