Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dunno if this goes in here but....  (Read 2367 times)

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
Dunno if this goes in here but....
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:32:05 pm »
.......We're about to rent (we hope) 2.6 acres of land not far away. We want bees, pigs, goats and chickens (we already have chickens but want some more).

What order would you get them in? I'm for getting a couple of pigs first but am in danger of being outvoted (apparently her votes count for two or something) and she'd like goats first.

What do you reckon?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Dunno if this goes in here but....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:17:14 am »
There's a lot going on here  :D

I reckon that, given you're going to get all the animals you want eventually, you will have a much more pleasant life if you get the goats first  ;)

(PS it is a known fact that the female half of a partnership's votes count for at least two - you know the quote 'cats and women will do as they please and dogs and men might as well relax and get used to the idea')

Goats will need strong, high fences and a shelter. Pigs the same, though the fences won't need to be as high.

In fact, if it were my land, I'd get more chickens first while I sorted out the fences and shelters  :)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:50:53 pm »
It's more important that you get your fencing and housing sorted out first, the order in which they arrive will depend on your timescale, the time of year and your budget.

Everything you have listed will need good housing and very secure fencing:

Bees:  :bee: Read up a bit - site them away from the other animals, footpaths etc. Put a fence around the apiary just in case any of the other animals (in particular the goats) get out.

Pigs:  :pig: Ideally use a solid barrier such as corrugated iron. Good strong fence posts needed too.

Goats:  :goat: Note they are browsers not grazers and they are escape artistes.

Chickens:  :chook: As you have experience of these you will be aware they need good fencing to keep fox out.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 01:18:48 pm »
We wanted all of the same things - we got the pigs first, then chickens and waiting on fencing to be finished for goats - bees will wait until next year.  We did it in this order for no other reason than timing - we wanted pigs for slaughtering at tail end of year, chickens because their housing was built next and the goats are ordered but waiting on our new piece of land to get fencing finished.  I thought the bees should wait because we had no many new things to get used to.  Absolutely love having them though and am really glad we made the decision to go for it.
Melanie

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:42:06 pm »
If you are renting the land make sure that you actually are allowed to keep goats on it, same goes for pigs. Just make sure there are no exclusions in the contract. I have heard of several people who had bought their goats and were then told that they couldn't keep them.... and yes I rehomed one such goat for a while...
Also with goats they are naughty and often escape artists - fences, the higher the better.

With housing/sheds check what your council allows without planning permission, it may be easier to construct a "moveable" shed, so you don't fall foul of planning regulations.

Also do you have water on the land? My goats forever knock their buckets over, and if you have to bring it onto site all the time could be quite difficult.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS