Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What veg will you be growing this year?  (Read 5216 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
What veg will you be growing this year?
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:21:05 pm »
I have started to set seedling with the plan to move over the greenhouse once i have annoyed husband enought (as they are sitting in the kitchen)
then in to the garden once the weather pick up

i have planted so far lettuce, turnip, tomatoes, cauliflower, carrots(to get small starter veg),chives,leeks and broadbeads.
So i can get a head start on things
i plan plant second sets soon

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: What veg will you be growing this year?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:25:40 pm »
I read somewhere that early planted seeds actually don't grow as fast as 'waiting for the Spring' ones do.  I haven't got as far as planting anything yet although the conservatory would be a good place to put seedlings. 

Thinking of peas, potatoes, lettuce, radish, carrots, beetroot and parsnips - all my faves, but could be persuaded to try some others.  Only me(and occasionally family)  to feed so not planting many.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:45:33 pm »
it's not realy about getting the to grow fast for me just trying to get ahead of the  game  as i have 'play' the the garden for a year now so just wantto get a cheap source of veg

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 04:17:35 pm »
well, i got started on teh seeds last night

i've started some alpine strawberries off - never tried them and i've plenty of the  normal variety in the garden, so thought i'd have a change

i have loads of chillis and pepper varieties to try

I planted some scotch bonnet, numex twighlight and hot cherry last night and i've a load more to plant over the next few days/weeks - i'm also trying out a wee trick to dry the seeds i've collected form organic chilli's/peppers i bought in shops last year to see if i can grow them. so they'll get planted in a few weeks

I've sown some carrot - but think i should just do them in a planter type tray arrangement and just each them when they are wee - rather than trying to transplant the small plants into bigger pots and then ultimately into the raised beds

i've got beetroot, parsnips and leeks to start off too as well as a wide variety of herbs

i'm also gonna chuck some early tatties into the planter bags i bought and see if i can get them going - but might leave that til the end of the month and do them in the tunnel

once we hit march, i'll think about everything else!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:38:09 pm »
Well I have no poly tunnel or even a green house. However, you lot on this forum have inspired me to actually use the veggie plot we have for the first real time time ever. My mum always has courgettes in it, but we only dig over a little area for them. So this year, I have seeds for Cabbage, broccoli (purple and ordinary), curly kale and brussel sprouts. And I also have a couple of little bags of earlies seed potatoes. There is a method to my madness- we will eat the broccoli, brussel sprouts and potatoes. As well, it means we will have supply of cabbage, curly kale, brussel sprouts for the goats, plus broccoli and cabbage for the guinea pigs. So even if it doesn't go well for feeding us, it will at least feed the animals. We have very heavy clay soil, but the goats do produce plenty of fertiliser for it.

We will also do the courgettes for ourselves as normal and hope we get a better crop than last year! Haven't sown any seeds yet, and don't intend to do any too early.

Beth

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:58:41 am »
that a good wyto think about it,

I don't mind 'wasteing' veg because i know it can go on the compost,
I have yet another pile of seeds packet in front of me

courette
an old packet of cabbage greyhound (i'll see if they grow)
two packet of cress gona grow these on my window sill (ilove cress and egg sandwitches) and also waitting on to things to carrots to germinate on the kitchen table and also for the weather to warm up then if the carrots germinate then i now the variaty is good and i can grow them outside (using up the rest of the packet i have)

i also have a bag of (homegrown )seeds drying above the current sown seeds and think a couple have falled successfully germinated lol but am not sure what they are at the moment lol

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:25:54 am »
I've not got anything going yet, but my plan is for potatoes (in big barrells) and in my raised beds I'm going to attempt carrotts, leeks, onions, garlic, peas, brocolli, beetroot, radishes and some soft fruit (and anything else that looks easy or interesting !) ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 10:41:45 am »
Oh also forgot about the tatties !!!
butnot sure when ican do this cos am baned from moving heavy stuff lol

linz

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:48:48 pm »
I planted tomato seeds today and stood them in the airing cupboard to germinate. I start them off early because they are for the poly tunnel, although, as my greenhouse is in desperate need of repair, I might find it difficult to keep them growing on.
I am trying onions from seed for the first time this year - I usually by expensive heat treated plants in April ... but they are looking a bit stretched at the moment - I might be asking for advice very soon!

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 08:12:46 am »
We'll be growing all the usual suspects.  As long as it's under 4ft tall it seems to do OK here, any taller and the wind burns the tops out.  It means we can't grow sweetcorn, runner beans or climbing french beans.  Jerusalem artichokes seem to be strong enough to withstand it though.
Has anyone else tried Sarpo Mira potatoes?  We get terrible blight here most years (better last year as it was so dry) but these are really resistant.  They were dark green and healthy a month after all the other varieties had died back.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS