Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Even sillier apple tree question (not that the previous question was silly!)  (Read 3859 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
We have been advised to mulch our apple trees.

OH has spent the afternoon creating little grass-free rounds around the trees (like wot you see in posh gardens) and now I need to put some mulch down.

What sort of mulch do people recommend?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Hi, we've used straw, hay and sometimes bark chippings (we have a shredder) but grass clippings works too. :farmer:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
I use seaweed pretty handy if you live on the coast

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Ok, here's the even siller question - why?  I've never mulched any of mine - ever.  Is that why I don't always get good crops?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Well - we hadn't mulched ours either doganjo..... and probably wouldn't have done but the apple tree guy that came round to help us with our orchard and said we should mulch them.

We are just going to mulch the young ones.

It cuts out competition for nutrients around the root and the mulch itself will leach nutrients into the soil

I think I will mulch ours with some grass clippping and wood chip mulch I made a few weeks ago.

Thanks
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Thanks, Suzie, I'll give it a go ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
I know I am very south but my trees are so laden that they are going south too - like the rest of me ;D  ;D We do not mulch and have the sheep and bunnies to keep out round the bases with wire and wood stays. not sure how we are going to cope with the glut - ditto plums

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
I know I am very south but my trees are so laden that they are going south too - like the rest of me ;D  ;D We do not mulch and have the sheep and bunnies to keep out round the bases with wire and wood stays. not sure how we are going to cope with the glut - ditto plums
make plum wine shearling! we made 400litres last year and plan to double it this. we have a vintner looking to buy into it as country fruit wines very popular at the moment apparantly. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
make plum wine shearling! we made 400litres last year and plan to double it this. we have a vintner looking to buy into it as country fruit wines very popular at the moment apparantly. 

Got a good recipe to share? we just use 4lb plums to about the same sugar, gallon of water and yeast unless spiced with added ginger root, an orange, 6 cloves and a a lemon.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
We've just been planting an orchard this year including Victoria Plums - which ones do you have for your wine - have you tried different types or mixed?  My OH is very into his wine making - best results have been gooseberry champagne and bramble wine.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
Hi Suzie, if you already have grass sward up to the trees I would advise you leave it and just ensure it is kept short. Mulching serves two main purposes, the first is to add nutrients and organic material to the soil and the second is to retain moisture within the soil. Unless the trees are showing signs of decline there should be no need to alter the existing soil and grass works reasonably well at retaining moisture (bare soil should be avoided). If you do decide to add mulch wood chip is good but make sure it is well composted also check the source, you don't won't to import pathogens such as Armillaria or Silver leaf.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS