Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild Berries  (Read 5821 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Wild Berries
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:24:04 pm »
any help?? where i walk my dog there is hundreds of wild blackberry bushes,do you think i could snip any part of the bushes and grow them in my own garden??

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Wild Berries
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:43:21 pm »
Interesting.  Brambles usually propagate themselves by rooting the tips of long canes where they touch the ground.  You might be able to find some tips which have done this already, or you could even pin some down yourself, mark them discretely, then come back once they have grown a root or two and snip them off with a foot or so of stem.  They root very readily, which is how bramble thickets form.  Brambles are extremely variable in quality - I don't know if it is because there are a number of different types or if it's to do with soil, aspect etc.  It would be worth choosing the very best of the wild type to propagate.  It might work to take cuttings as well.  Let us know how you get on  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:16:31 am »
Why would you want them?  They are covered in horrid tiny thorns that get into everything nd under your skin.  Far better to invest in a couple of cultivated ones - they won't cost more than say £5 each and they'll spread far quicker.  I have both on my property and I'm forever trying to get rid of the wild ones - the fruits are smaller too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:14:13 am »
I have a lovely variety of cultivated blackberry in my garden. Most varieties are tasteless but this one, which had taken over when we moved here is lovely. I will willingly root some tip cuttings for anyone who wants one for the price of the postage.
The fruits are huge and sweet with a real blackberry flavour.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:03:23 am »
Hiya, please could i have a dozen??  :wave:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 05:40:49 pm »
Oooh - yes please :-0
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 06:21:22 pm »
Its my hobby collecting things from the forest!!! I often have bags full of all sorts of stuff, my free supermarket!!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 08:32:44 pm »
I'd love a cutting or a few from the cultivated ones please, depending where you are and if they'd survive in the post ???
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 03:13:44 pm »
I will bury some tips in pots. I'm not sure how long they will take to root but will post here when they are ready. I've spent weeks digging out and burning the little blighters ::)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 03:27:20 pm »
I had to laugh blackberries are the bane of my life i am constantly cutting them back in my fields and in my garden. Most nights i sport a variety of scratches or thorn pricks and they grow like Triffids! and here you are all wanting to propergate them !!! i nearly fell off my chair.
I wish you good luck with your plants and many tasty pies

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 12:10:52 am »
I bought Blur berries and they did NOTHING, also strawberries but the woodland we walk is full of them so why plant them? I take a plastic tub, the dogs enjoy a run and I collects as many as possible and freeze them, thenplant flowers!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 10:03:38 am »
I am told that I must tip-root the tips of the new canes so will have to wait until these are long enough. (probably August time) I will root as many as I can and let you know when they are ready.
Sandy, I too pick from the wild, blackberries, wild strawberries, gooseberries, sloes etc. It's a satisfying feeling to come home with real food for free :) :yum:

confused

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 11:15:59 am »
I find it easier just to collect the berries  where i walk my dog , saves the plants taking over my garden.

levi_allen

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 11:52:34 am »
Where we live is we get the kids to pick load of wild blackberries while our neighbours swap apples, rhubarb and what not then in the summer evening we all have a mix of crumbles and pies ... its lovelyy and our resident hjave free-coming land behind our block where can do what we want with and we always keep thee berries  ;D

Also maybe cut a piece of the wild berryy planbt and buy some rooting gel !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS