Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: anyone know anyone that can install a multi fuel log burner with back boiler  (Read 4148 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
to run our hot water and central heating?

Fife area

Cant help with a fitter in your area, but I once installed one - a few pointers to watch for (ie to make sure the fitter knows what he is doing)

1. Pipes from back boiler need to be 32mm copper.

2. All pipes need to meet at a box called a Dunsley Baker Neutraliser (or system neutraliser) if the fitter says "a what" then get another fitter!

I think you will struggle to run HW & CH of a log burner, the one I fitted gave lashings of hot water with the CH system only kicking in when the water got too hot in the tank - ie it acted as a heat sink.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
Egglady -I have a double front door Hunter wood burner in our lounge which used to heat our water and radiators. It was a simple system which is pumped through our immerser tank and it gives you the option to heat up via the immerser switch in the summer.I got fed up cutting down forests to fuel it so,  I installed an oil burner, disconnected the pump and now the burner has become a radiator with the water being pumped from the oil system (although i can still use it carefully as a fire).

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
We have a woodburning stove/cooker (Esse ironheart) linked up via its back boiler to our hot water system.

It works well tho we havent tried to connect it to the oil fired central heating (which is mainly underfloor).

We made sure it is gravity fed not pumped, so the angles are correct for that to work, pipes wise. It means that since it also cooks, if we have a power cut we have cooking, some hot water and some heating direct from the stove!

In my experience it might be more efficient to just heat hot water with the stove and look for another way of doing the central heating as the input needs of HW and CH are very different (one needs high temp but not all the time, the other needs constant lower temps, wood stoves arent ideal for the latter).

What about solar or heat pump for heating?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS