Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wanted house and pet sitter  (Read 3972 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
wanted house and pet sitter
« on: June 30, 2011, 08:37:09 pm »
I am looking for a person to look after the animals while I am away on holiday in late August early September. We have 3 horses who live out and only need a handful of chaff in the mornings and a quick health check, two dogs to be walked twice a day, 5 sheep to be head counted each day and two kunes and a large black to feed. I am really worried about leaving them for 10 days so am looking for someone experienced who will not charge a fortune and who is trust worthy. I was wondering if anyone could reccomend someone they have used? We are based in Shrosphire  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: wanted house and pet sitter
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:36:24 pm »
There is a network of homesitters - google house sitters, animal sitters, dog sitters etc.  I have one up here and she is worth her weight in gold.  Adds a lot to any holiday (£30 a day) but it means I can get away and not worry about them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:50:12 pm »
I am in North Shropshire and may be able to help you if you are near. PM me if you like.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

mirjam

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 10:17:26 pm »
We are an early retired couple and would love to take care of your smallholding while you're on vacation. We have lots of experience with house/pet care and one of us grew up on a farm. We have excellent testimonials from our previous house/pet sits. If interested, we like to send our House/Pet sit CV, with our photo and all relevant details for consideration. Our mail is housesitter02@gmail.com
We look forward to hear from you.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:56 am »
thanks for your help guys  ;D. Bright Raven I am in South Shropshire so probably a little too far but thank you for the reply. Mirjam, thank you for your interest perhaps you could pm me your location and types of animals you have looked after previously? Thanks again for your suggestions. Who knew going on holiday could be so blooming complicated  ::)

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 08:22:44 am »
There is a lady called 'pel' on the river cottage forum who I have seen highly reccommended

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 04:24:25 pm »
PM sent...

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 02:09:07 am »
I do this for a living (but am in Scotland and as I have so mny regular clients now I can only offer this service locally) I just wanted to say I woulkd definately go on personal recommendations, as people on here have recommended sitters. Most of my clients say I have been recommended by my existing clients or the local vet pactices who know me. If going with one of the larger national firms (mentioning no names!) take care to read the small print and hidden charges. One of my clients had a sitter but was charged extra because her (the clients) niece happened to be staying in the house as well  ???  They also sometimes charge per head of animals, charge for a food allowance, petrol (where are they travelling from??)  Good luck!

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 08:32:00 pm »
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. I have now found someone and even better its someone I know and trust who is charging a fair rate. I feel so relieved the animals will be well taken care of  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS