Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: LLEYN Sheep!  (Read 3996 times)

countrydog2000

• Joined Jan 2009
LLEYN Sheep!
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:45:00 am »
Hi all. We have just taken on a couple of acres hopefully going up a couple more in the spring to start a small holding.

We are looking for about four to six Lleyns in lamb to run. As looking around these seem to be a good breed for small holders.

If anybody knows of any contacts or them selfs have some to sell or even advice on if you think there are a good idea would gratefully recieved!!

Thanks.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: LLEYN Sheep!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:32:24 pm »
you will get lots of lambs, so be prepared for multiple births. Neighbours of ours had 2 ewes with quads last year!

try getting in touch with the Lleyn sheep society - they will be able to put you in touch with someone nearby who might have the sheep you are looking for.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 05:39:55 pm »
I keep LLeyns they are brilliant sheep.Easy lambers and good milkers.Not to big and the lambs are a main stream breed so easy to sell.Last years lambs made a return of over £50 each off grass (weathers).
If you do them to well on the sheep feed in the last 6 weeks or so you will get multiple births..I get 2 each off mine.
I know where there are some scanned for triplets pure LLeyn and top quality for £150 each.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:41:41 pm by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

kaney

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:10:20 pm »
Go to Lleyn sheep society website, plenty of contacts and you will find regional club contact details, if like Midland society you will find them very helpful and sure to get some good ewes.  have bred them for 5 years now and they've lived up to my expectations.  Superb meat which goes down well with the pubs and private customers we sell to.  None of that struggling to lamb like ti Texels I was tempted to start with.  Have crossed a few with my sons Hampshire ram and the offspring last spring all out of Llleyn ewe lambs were top notch and started finishing off the ewes at 14 weeks giving 16 to 17kg carcases.
Good luck. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS