Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP! Infested with Red Mites- ME AND THE HENS!  (Read 6962 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: HELP! Infested with Red Mites- ME AND THE HENS!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 09:52:57 am »
If you treat the birds with Frontline or similar pour on products, Can we still eat the eggs?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »
I couldn't fancy eating eggs from hens treated with pour- on products :o Or any animal treated with them either. I always used a steam cleaner to treat hen houses (boil the beggars to death  ;D ;D) but now use a flame burner as I haven't any electricity in the fields.
I also use the steam cleaner to keep the house/kennels flea free. The flame thrower seems to kill off eggs as well as mites and you can put the diatom earth in the dust bath to save further infestation.

princesspiggy

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 11:04:59 pm »
we had red mites once after getting some ex-commercial hens (which i powdered on arrival but obviously not well enough), never realised until we were plucking, and mites were running up ur arms. we used barrier (?) mite powder (on birds and mainly in house and perches) every month for quite a while, and never had a problem since. (also never bought in birds since either.)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS