Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnels  (Read 7205 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Polytunnels
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:25:35 pm »
Hi had a couple of questions about the above if anyone could help me. How hardy are they where I intend on putting one is pretty much an open field (on a hill). can you build a diy one yourself and if so how easy/hard is it. what is the price range . where to buy im in the north of ireland. any other info would be great.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Polytunnels
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 10:09:55 pm »
http://www.overthegardengate.net/UserPages/pp_view.asp?FName=polytunnel&Page=1  Have a look here. Also http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php/topic,294.0.html    Guy ropes from Millets sluing over them to hold them down in windy weather?....... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:36:20 pm »
Concrete in the ground tubes, put in extra hoops (we have 7 on our 30' instead of 6) use crop bars for extra bracing, and get the poly as tight as a drum all over.  Works for us on the Isle of Lewis!  Mind you, 3 years out of a cover is still good going here.  Oh, and you'll get the skin tighter if you fix down to a batten instead of burying it.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:00:09 am »
That over the garden gate link from Mr Ree is one of my favourites - I do plan to build my own one one day using that model

one suggestion i've heard about is building a Tunnel in a tunnel (it was actually a tunnel in a tunnel in a tunnel in a tunnel - but that's going OTT IMO)

basically some guy built a huge tunnel and then built a slightly smaller one inside it - the air in between helps to trap heat so he was able to grow chillis and the likes all year round in Maine, north America (a place with colder winters than here)

I think that idea would work well to protect against late frosts as once it's benn heated up, it should be immune to a late cold snap - so you should be able to get going a little bit earlier (though doesn't address the lack of sunlight issue!)

on my way to work this morning, i saw an impressive site, there is a very steeply banked garden next too the Linlithgow bridge inn, in linlithgow (in case you are passing and want to see) he has dug out several flat terraces (like you get in vineyards) to give himself some growing space and there is a series of arches now in place running up the slope - just awaiting a cover to be put on.

I've not noticed the frames before, so think the guy is just building it just now. But looks like he's putting his own polytunnel up on a pretty inclined garden

well, i was impressed!!!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:22:58 am »
the guy has the skin on the sloping polytunnel now - most impressive!!! i'm gonna knock on his door and ask him to give me a hand building my tunnel!!!!

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 01:33:03 pm »
was thinking of putting it along side a stone wall for a bit of extra protection is this a good idea.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 01:50:41 pm »

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 06:48:22 pm »
Just look at that link Sellick - now thats a good one !!

Just saved it to my bookmarks for use later

Thanks

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 04:28:46 pm »
yup, i'm gonna try a small one this year - with room to extend it the length of my garden later if t all works - 100' polytunnel here i come!!! LOL

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:23:05 pm »
love both the links guys- thanks a million!!- I have put off buying a polytunnel for the last 2 years and in desperation actually went to look at greenhouses this year because I wasn't convinced that a polytunnel wouldn't blow away on our hill. However these links make it look relatively simple to erect and maintain one- and I reckon if people are giving advice on polytunnels weathering snow storms and temps of minus 30 then Scotland isn't really extremes of weather in the grand scheme of things so am going to give it a shot in the next week or two- I have to start growing things this year or I'll go nuts-theres only so much you can grow on a windowsill!

Helen

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 03:04:14 pm »
Mine has only been up for 5 months, no problems with wind so far, I've planted a willow hedge to give some protection.  The crows are a pain though - their claws pierce the plastic along the ridge.  The tunnel is now decorated with hanging cds and plastic windmills, oh and a plastic snake for good measure - anything to deter them from landing! :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS