Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: nesting boxes  (Read 4316 times)

hot house heroes

• Joined Jan 2009
  • prestwick
nesting boxes
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:45:31 pm »
hi there looking for some advice on bird boxes is it to late to put up a few nesting boxes in the garden  :&>
its not a palace but its our palace

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: nesting boxes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:47:56 pm »
Don't be silly! what sensible bird wants to go out looking for nesting materials in weather like this! ???

Only joking!  I haven't put mine up yet.  It was well after April/May before mine were starting to be used because that's when I moved in here.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:10:43 pm »
Put them up - it will take the birds a wee while to get used to them anyway.

Smokey, my horse, is starting to drop his coat, so I'll be bringing it home as nesting material for the local spuggies. When Dan cleaned out the boxes in autumn they were full of horse hair!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 07:56:51 pm »
We have some boxes but found out last year that Jacks the cat was climbing the trees to get to them so took them down.   :(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 10:25:57 pm »
I had the same problem with Rio lifting the lid of the box.  I cured that with a heavy brick on top, then when they started to fly Candy got one.  I think the other three made it.  That's just cats I suppose, and although I love my cats, and they are useful on rats, I hate them taking little defenceless baby birds.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pierre

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Deep in The Trossachs....
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 09:22:02 am »

.... Hi ...

... never too late... get them up, try to position them to face south-west, and near to other trees or bushes...

.... Good luck ...

Pete
 :-*

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 07:47:14 pm »
We made a dozen or so nesting boxes last summer, we placed them off the ground and in walls (stone dyke walls) as well as other areas.
Thus far, despite an unprecedented number of wild birds visiting there has been little or no interest in any box, just can't understand it.

Also, we put up bird tables and attempted to cater for every wild bird in the neighbourhood, again however, there has been no interest, not even in winter!!

Of course we have the opportunists like the seagull or the robin, the feral pidgeon is the only bird in a year who has bothered to come and feed!
 ??? ???
Pigtails

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 07:44:36 am »
we have a lovely woodpecker who comes to our bird table....I get such a thrill
Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS