Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help!! sow had long drawn out labour now not well!!  (Read 2983 times)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
help!! sow had long drawn out labour now not well!!
« on: June 29, 2011, 04:50:43 pm »
hi,yesterday we had a great day..i went out to find a litter of 12 kune kune piglets all happy in one pen,mum was fine,feeding them and herself!! then in the next pen over our duroc x gos sow had 4 piglets and was mid labour..this was about 10am i stayed with her for next few hours and we got up to 7 piglets..she seemed to finish ,she got up and had a scoop of feed about 1pm but no drink!then she went back to her ark and fed the 7.i went off to the bank and came straight back,at 5pm we had 10 piglets then finally by 8pm 12! all after birth came out i think!seemed plenty off it with no probs..anyway i got down there today and she was very quiet and still had not eaten or drank!!all piglets are fine.....i managed to get mum up but she was very wobbly and after alot of shouting and slapping (i had too!)she went over to the water and eventually had about half a bucket of water but will not eat still........she went over to the ark and layed down nearly squashing all piglets so i dived in and pulled her off she got up and went and drank again but then went down again and fed piglets half heartedly as she wasn't grunting away like normal so i assume not producing alot of milk!!  anyone got any ideas..is she just tired from alot of hard work yeterday?i know she's drunk water which is important but i am still worried...our vet so far has been usless with farm animals!we have lost a lamb to blowfly as when we called the vet she said there was nothing on the market to treat it!!then online i found 'spot on' which treats it but was too late and lost him :-[
'can't rain all the time!'

TESS1963

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: help!! sow had long drawn out labour now not well!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 05:09:52 pm »
Hi - I had exactly the same problem with one of my GOS and after she had missed her second meal, I called the vet. He said that she had either internal inflammation through a long labour or it could be farrowing fever. Have you checked her temperature? If I was you and I would act quickly, would be to contact your vet and either pick-up a bottle of antibiotics or if your vet is not happy for you to collect to get them out. If you leave it, then you might find her milk dries up and you will lose your piglets, or even her. Sorry to be a bit dramatic, but the longer you leave it, the hungrier her piglets will become and the sicker she will become.

Tess

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:19:33 pm »
I'd go out with some of her favourite food and try to tempt her. Have some pig food available for her incase she's hungry later too, maybe the combination of heat and exhaustion is getting to her and she'll be hungrier once it's cooler.
If she's showing signs of a temperature, shivering or any redness/swelling at her teats get the vet. It might be that not all the afterbirth has come out or there's a piglet stuck behind the afterbirth (it's not impossible) - the oxytocin will cause her womb to contract and push anything that may still be in there, out. Temperature or teat problem could be a sign of an infection or mastitus - it would be wise to give a broad spectrum anti-biotic in this case, but the vet is your best bet in the absence of a local, experienced pig keeper who could come and have a look.
Hope she's back to her old self soon, but let us know if anything changes,
Karen x

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 07:35:41 pm »
Hi littlemisspiggy

just gone through this but not quite so soon after the birth. Karen is right - get the anti biotic in. She is very very tired. The good thing is that she has had a drink - don't rush the food yet - but some carbs might be a good idea - banana?
Good luck

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:19:49 am »
WELL...THE MORNING AFTER UPDATE!

WE HAD THE VET OUT AT 6.30 LAST NIGHT AND SHE HAD A TEMP OF 102 SO WARM BUT NOT TOO BAD VET SAID (I FOUND A VET WHO'S DAD WAS A PIG FARMER!!SHES GREAT!) SHE WAS NOT GIVING ANY MILK AND WOULDN'T GET UP (UNTIL A GREAT NEEDLE WENT IN THEN BOY DID SHE GET UP!)NOR WOULD SHE EAT! VET GAVE PEN-STREP AND A PAIN KILLER! I HAVE 3 DAYS OF PAIN KILLER AND BOTTLE OF PEN-STREP TO GIVE HER FOR NEXT 5 DAYS!....VET SAID GET SUGAR INTO HER,JAM SANDWICH!ANYTHING TO GET GLUCOSE UP BUT SHE WASN'T HAVING ANY OF IT LAST NIGHT... :(
WE HAD TO BOTTLE FEED THE PIGLETS..ALL 12 OF THGEM..GOOD JOB STILL GOT ALL THE ORPHAN LAMB STUFF KNOCKING AROUND!

ANYWAY THIS MORNING AT 5AM WE WERE DOWN AGAIN TO BOTTLE FEED..ALL PIGLETS STILL LIVELY AND MOBED ME FOR MILK..MUM SEEMED MORE WITH IT AND HAD DEFINATLY BEEN OUT IN THE NIGHT TO DRINK SOME SUGARED WATER SO THAT WAS GOOD.THE JAM SANDWHICH AND A SMALL BIT OF APPLE HAD GONE IM HOPING INTO HER AND NOT A RAT!.....WE HAD ALSO GIVEN HER A BARLEY MEAL IN MILK MASH IN A BOWL TO TRY KEEP CALCIUM LEVELS UP IN HER ASWELL AND THAT HAD BEEN KNOCKED OVER AND IT LOOKED AS IF SOME HAD BEEN EATEN.. :-\.X.

SO BETTER THAN YESTER DAY,THINK PAIN KILLERS HAVE KICKED IN,SHE DID GET HALF UP AND WAS GRUNTING AS IF GIVING MILK BUT NO MILK COMING OUT YET,SHE IS STILL BAGGED UP SO VET HOPES IF SHE RECOVERS IN NEXT DAY OR SO SHE WILL STILL GIVE MILK BUT FOR NOW ITS THE BOTTLE...THEY SOON LEARNED TO USE IT!!I GOT MOBED THIS MORNING,CANT FEED UM FAST ENOUGH!!!LOL..NOT ENOUGH HANDS OR BOTTLES! :D

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 07:59:06 am »
dolly is eating again!! she was up when we got there last night,had drunk and eaten a bit..i put fresh milk mashed barley down for her with pig nuts in and she ate the lot!! ;D ;D ;D

we gave her the injections!!FUN! ;) :D

but all seems well now..im still not sure if shes producing much milk but the piglets have learned how to use the bowl to drink from now and they are doing really well!!..very friendly! keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well as ive picked a gilt out i want to keep on!she is a real dark 'duroc red' mum is duroc x gos but ive never had a non spotty before from her..she's gorgeous! ;D

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:01:15 am »
That's fantastic news  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 08:37:34 am »
Hope things keep improving  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 09:25:11 am »
I'm glad she's on the mend  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS