Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep and snow  (Read 10538 times)

derbyshirenovices

• Joined Jan 2009
sheep and snow
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:33:00 pm »
We have 6-8 ins snow here in Derbyshire and our two Ryelands must be feeling the pinch. They should be OK for shelter (we have a couple of cosy little field shelters for them) but what about food? They have some hay (although they seem to prefer eating straw) and we're giving them the odd handful of ewe nuts.

What are the do's and don'ts in this situation? Advice appreciated. I don't think they'll see any grass until the weekend.

Cheers

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: sheep and snow
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:33:12 pm »
My Ryelands are out in the snow. Make sure they have plenty of hay and of course feed them as that's all they are getting to eat.
Kaz
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:49:19 pm »
If in lamb they will need watching and maybe some extra feed. Depends just how much snow you end up with. One year it was so bad with us that we had to dig our sheep out and take them in as the snow was waist deep on me and I am 5ft 6ins. Came overnight and caught us out. Add a strong wind and we were in trouble. Very stressful trying to find the ewes so now I keep a very close eye on the weather.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:01:56 pm »
I agree with that extra bit of advice. If at all worried bring them in or failing that bring them nearer to the house and keep a good check on them even if it means going out in the dark which we will be doing tonight.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

derbyshirenovices

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:42:39 pm »
Thanks.

They're just yearlings (is that the term?) and not pregnant (as far as we know) so no worries on that front.

Have you ever come across sheep preferring to eat straw rather than hay? Presumably theire stomachs can get something out of it after a day or two's bacterial action. Maybe the hay isn't that sweet - it's a bale from the local agricultural supplies shop.

I'm not overdoing it on the ewe nuts - is that right?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:50:56 pm »
Sheep are designed to live out in cold snowy places!!! They come ready insulated too!

Do not feel too sorry for them and overfeed or you will cause digestive problems.

So long as they can get out of the worst of the weather behind a wall or hedge they will be fine. Feed loads and loads of hay....grass has no feed value at this time of the year. If they eat the straw its because it tastes nice....barley straw is very palateable to sheep and will do no harm.

Feed nuts sparingly, only ewes in lamb and underweight sheep nead them........

Feel your sheep over the loins to see how well covered in flesh they are DO NOT rely on just looking as wool can hide a skinny sheep!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 07:18:06 pm »
We have had our first lamb born today - a lovely surprise and she is just a dream!

She was born in the field and of course we have now brought mum and daughter in.  Our Ouessants didn't lamb until later in the year last year.  She is a cross, dad a Ouessant, and has really caught us out, no particular signs of imminent birth that we saw.  We will keep them both shut in for a few days, and if the snow returns a little longer.  Because it is so early, should I put a little coat on the lamb when we let them out?

We have sleeves from old fleeces that we use for piglets, so could use one of those.

I hope I don't sound stupid, but this is a first for us in the cold and so much earlier than before, and she is so small.

Thanks everyone

Kate :sheep:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 09:41:21 pm »
Nope dont put a coat on the lamb it might strangle itself!! They should have acccess to some shelter but they really are designed to be out UNLESS its very wet and very cold.......wet they can do, cold they can do bit the combination of the two can be a killer.

What you can do however is to get some plastic lambmacs ......or as your lamb will be too small do as follows.......

Take a light plastic feed sack or a havy duty freezer bag and cut a rectangle including the corner, cut the corner off making an opening big enough for a lambs head to just go through it.
Imagine where the legs are and make 2 slits on each side.

Put on lamb.....put head through head hole and then carefully put each leg through the leg hole. Make sure it does not go back too far as ewe needs to keep smelling lambs bottom to make sure its hers!!!

Will keep lambs dry and snug and will eventually fall off when lamb grows......thats why plastic must be light.

Here is a pic of a lambmac
http://www.fwi.co.uk/community/photos/februarysnow/last-night-a-lamb-mac-saved-my-life-109999.aspx
www.valgrainger.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 09:51:43 pm »
Now isn't that just so cute - the height of fashion. ;D  What an excellent idea!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:37:39 am »
Thanks so much Val - how cute is that!

I will get John on it this afternoon!  When the pure Ouessants gave birth last year, it was warm and although some rain, there was also lots of dry sunny days.  A stark contrast to the weather at the moment.

Another learning curve!

Kate :sheep:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 11:41:11 am »
Farmers up here have their ewes in for early lambing its normal and when they are a couple of days old they go out wearing the lambmacs. does look cute and seems to do a good job of keeping lambs dry. :)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 07:13:08 pm »
I have used in the past what they call a woolover for my lambs especially if they are small and early and they definitely didnot strangle themselves with a red mac over the top when it was wet.
 ;D ;D

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 10:14:30 pm »
Woolovers are ok coz they are quite snug fitting!!!

Its loose things that can be dodgy!!!

Enjoy the snow.....we have loads.....again ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

suomi

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 04:02:51 pm »
We have Finnish  sheep and they are outside all winter, they do have a shed and tend to sleep in it during the night.
they are already well insulated with a pretty thick fleece and absolutly love the snow! :sheep:
we had minus 27oc last week and they were fine!  they did have crispy fleece though! also last year a friend of ours had lambs born out in the snow, it was only around minus 10oc, they just curled up tight against their mom and were just fine.
It really is amazing to see how animals have adapted to their own particular environment. all I can say is thank goodness we have a nice warm house! ;)   hope you are all enjoying the snow.. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS