Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: problem with hatched chick ?  (Read 2595 times)

lula

• Joined Feb 2009
problem with hatched chick ?
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:34:54 pm »
hi is there anyone who can help !! we have been incubating hen eggs ,one hatched today ,it was 3 days overdue ,it piped at noon and hatched at 6.40 there seems to be something attached to its rear end still ,i thought chicks should hatch and be clean ! we are new to this and finding it very stressful !!! also what is the kindest way to dispatch a chick,(not a nice thought ) if it has to be done ,any advice would be great ,thanks

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: problem with hatched chick ?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:18:38 pm »
Hi Lula

First of all, check that what is attatched to the chick is not shell or membrane from the egg.  If it is, gently sponge it loose with warm water and the chick will be fine.  I have on occasion seen chicks hatch with a distended back end which is rare but usually needs the chick to be dispatched to save it suffering, especially if there is any bleeding.  Bear in mind too that there is an umbilical cord on the chick that attatched it to the egg.
If you have to dispatch it the easiest and quickest way is to break the neck.  If you are inexperienced decapitate it.  Sorry to be brutal but I hate to think of anything suffering needlessly.

Hope this helps

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

lula

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: problem with hatched chick ?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:01:15 pm »
hiya thanks for your reply ,think it was the cord,had good look when it had settled down a bit and is looking fine now !!!! i think im getting the jist of it now !!! many thanks again x :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS