Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horns  (Read 2713 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Horns
« on: July 04, 2011, 04:08:46 pm »
I noticed last night that Billy's horns seem to be a bit flaky and rough. He has this habit of raking the floor with his hooves then scratching the top of his head in the bare patch of earth he has created.
Is there any special care I should be taking of their horns or are they getting all the nurtients they need from their pellets?
Also...Wytsend advised me to put the boys on starter pellets for calves which I have done for the past few months. Do they stay on these all the time or do they progress to a different one as they get older. Ill be getting a new sack of their food tomorrow, so if possible, I need to know before then.

As always, many thanks for all your help.
P.S.
At last, Billy is allowing me to stroke him, and is just loving all the attention, infact if Toby is getting a stroke, he headbutts him out of the way so that he can have one. Patience has paid off!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Horns
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:56:24 pm »
I would think pellets and greenery would be giving the horny boys all they need.
I wonder if you could oil them?!
:D

glad your patience has worked on young Billy, just mind those horns if they're head butting!

our Cesar (Bagot Billy goat) was timid, he had a few days poorly (too much good food!) and was so sorry for himself he was happy to be stroked and cuddled & its really made him soft!
Little Blue

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 01:18:25 pm »
id love to see a foto of caesar  :wave:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:21:03 pm »
you can change the pellets to a calf rearer/grower  which is a little lower in protein.  You need to a protein level of around 15/16%.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS