Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Linlithgow  (Read 4024 times)

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
Hello from Linlithgow
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:12:37 pm »
Hi Everyone !!

We've been lurking for a good while now and have at last got round to actually registering on the forum and saying hello  ::)

3 years ago we moved to a smallholding just outside Linlithgow and since then have been doing house renovations, growing toms and peppers in the greenhouse and generally tidying up 70 years worth of rubbish !!  We would love to have chickens  :chook: piggies  :pig: and hopefully a horse or two  :horse: at some point but at the moment have only got as far as our two cats  :cat: ... oh, and a friendly mouser who visits regularly and keeps the vermin at bay.

We are very lucky to have a 6 acre field with our holding although we haven't really been in a position to do anything major with it so far except help feed the neighbours coos.  We've also got numerous outbuildings in various states of repair ... including the Old Empty Barn!  ;D

Glad we eventually got round to registering as this forum has been a great inspiration to us ...

O.E.B. (aka Dave & Val)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from Linlithgow
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:21:51 pm »
Hi and welcome

There's a big West Lothian contingent. You might be interested to join our Central SCotland Smallholders Association. We've linked with oatridge College to organise training - we did a lambing course last month and we're going to do something on grassland management, which might be useful for you.

Check the website www.smallholders.info

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:38 pm »
Hi Dave and Val, I'm from Bo'ness, not that far from you  :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:30:50 pm »
Hello and welcome  :)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:33:30 pm »
Hello! We're down at Avonbridge, and my sister is in Linlithgow. She will be heartily jealous of you, as she'd love something in or around Linlithgow with even a little bit of land.

Beth

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 11:48:07 am »
Hi OEB

I'm just outside Linlithgow at Muiravonside country park - theres a few of us about here!

I've a few garden projects to finish - plugging the gaps in the fence etc - and then i think i'll be getting some chooks in. Not enough room for pigs or coo's, and sheep are just stoopid!!! So not wanting any of them!

feel free to shout if i can help out in any way.

awra best
chris

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 01:47:57 pm »
Thanks for the welcome everyone  :)

Rosemary, the courses at Oatridge sound interesting, we're not far from there - we are right on the border of West Lothian and Falkirk but officially come under Falkirk Council.  I (Val) spent two years at SAC (many!) years ago and had some modules out at Oatridge - including dry stane dyking and tractor driving - great fun!!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:48:29 pm »
Thanks for the welcome everyone  :)

Rosemary, the courses at Oatridge sound interesting, we're not far from there - we are right on the border of West Lothian and Falkirk but officially come under Falkirk Council.  I (Val) spent two years at SAC (many!) years ago and had some modules out at Oatridge - including dry stane dyking and tractor driving - great fun!!

ok, where about are you then? i'm also right on the west lothian/falkirk border - falling into the fallkirk side, but still with an EH49 post code - which suits me for the local doctors clinic!

if it turns out you live next door to me and i've not said hi, i'll be mighty embarrassed!!

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 09:20:47 pm »
 ;D No, you're alright - we're away out the other side of Linlithgow to you, between Linlithgow and Blackness

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 09:39:51 am »
phew!!!

i don't feel so bad now!!

on another forum, i was convinced i was talking the the lassie that lived upstairs - but it wasn't, it was someone almost a full half mile away!!

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:27:59 am »
Hi from Somerset, I 'lurked ' for a bit too, then plucked up the courage to join, they are a friendly bunch with good advise, even kept me out of court !!!!! lol  :D :D :D :D :D :D
juliag

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 06:07:53 pm »
Hi welcome from sunny (and cold) Brittany :pig:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 06:10:09 pm »
hiya from linz aka fluffyweshsheep ,central belt

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS