Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finding eggs......  (Read 3030 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Finding eggs......
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:22:09 pm »
I have three POL Cream Legbars who are deeply antisocial. They don't sleep in a hen house with the other hens, they roost in the rafters of a shed, they don't hang out with the others. They are extremely skittish, I can't get anywhere near them. I've noticed that their wattles and combs have gone red, and I recently saw a bit of male interest, so I think they may be either laying or just about to. The problem is that I only ever see them when they're roosting and I shut up the hen house, I don't know where they go during the day. If they are laying I'll never find their eggs. They're already out and about when I open up the hen house in the morning, so stalking them isn't an option. Any suggestions?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Finding eggs......
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:30:03 pm »
Take a walking stick (to part the long grass etc) and go on a mega search in the nettles / brambles or other overgrown areas, or invest in a time delay camera and see where they head off to.

:chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 08:18:19 pm »
Find a friend with a dog that does obedience, send them out to seek with the scent from one of the feathers. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:31:16 pm »
or ..... pen them in  (sorry!)
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 08:34:19 pm »
I'll come over with my dogs and retrieve them for you if you like ;) ;) ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 09:14:33 pm »
I think my dogs would eat them! Maybe that's the problem....?!  ;D

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 09:24:49 pm »
If I want to find eggs that are mis placed I let our dogs in and they find them, they don't eat the eggs unless I am not quick enough and they drop them!!!!!

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 09:37:19 pm »
My dogs are rubbish at finding things. Our cocker spaniel disappeared for 24 hours when she was 10 weeks old. She'd gone off on a jaunt and jumped into a storm drain. This was October, we were blessed there was no heavy rain, snow or frost that night or she'd have been a goner. We got the flabrador all fired up and tried to get her to seek her out, she was full of enthusiasm and sniffing everywhere, in retrospect she was just having a marvellous time! I'll give it a go, though!

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 09:58:51 pm »
I took them up one day and Rohan, the Yellow lab was focused on some bags of sand that we had stacked, I went to look and my favorite chicken "BIG SANDY" was stuck their with her head down and the others had pooed on her, I let her out and now shes brilliant, always sits by the gate until I go in!! ROhan, our chocolate lab is brilliant and will collect any stray eggs but just now they have taken to the pen I made for the Hubbards we grew for Christmas dinner!!!!! Good luck finding them..........I found 44 DUck eggs last year and my OH sold them ALL!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 10:20:55 pm »
our dog collects eggs ... and eats them!
and this is off the kitchen table, wouldnt let her loose round the chickens :D
she had my apple the other night - there I was searching for it to take to work, to turn round and find her sat looking at me, smiling!!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS