Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My rabbit Jasper  (Read 5389 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
My rabbit Jasper
« on: March 02, 2009, 05:34:38 pm »
Over the last week I have noticed a change in Jasper, my Lop eared dwarf rabbit. I had the vet out at the goats a few days ago and asked her to have a wee look at him. She said as he was old (aged 8) he was just an old man and as he was happy eating and drinking we should just monitor him. Well, the weight fell off him over the weekend, he wasn't cleaning himself and looked miserable. I took him into the vet first thing this morning and after being on a drip etc all day we had to make that horrendous decision and at 5.00pm tonight he went to sleep. He will be missed as he was a great pet but he did enjoy a long and happy life with us.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: My rabbit Jasper
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:53:41 pm »
So sorry, James.  That's the trouble with animals - they don't live as long as us and we nearly always have to make that decision.  I certainly couldn't keep my own animals for food, although I'm happy to let others do that for me.  Does that make me a hypocrite?
I've only had two black rabbits as pets but they were lovely and I re-homed them to a friend when I moved.  You'll miss Jasper.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:02:56 pm »
Thanks Annie, we burried him in the garden beside Poppy - his old girlfriend. He had had a great life and I know we did the best for him. I could not raise any animal for food but I do not have a problem with others doing it - Im a softy! I know of people saying that they won't keep pets as they can't cope when that pet dies but I cannot undrestand that. It is better to have the love of any animal for how ever long than never to have an animal at all.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:45:08 pm »
Absolutely right, James.  When I told the kids I was going to see Beth's BT Goats my son looked at me in disgust - 'oh Muuum, you're NOT getting a goat'  I wasn't sure if it was a question or a command ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:12:04 am »
Sad to see a cherished pet go, we had variouse pets and after my last rabbit died I kept saving veg and weeds for her fo a long time. I'm worried my dog is going the same way, he is not well at all, off to the vet again today, going to the vets is such a stress for pets....

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:36:48 am »
Good luck with the trip to the vets, hope your dog is on the mend.

sandy

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:01:32 am »
Thanks, not realy sure what to do with him, he was very sick on Friday and could not walk far at all on Saturday, we took him to the vet and he was given some stuff to stop his stomach contracting and he had an injection and although he hasn't realy been sick again he  is not eating, only maybe a spoonful of some special food the vet gave me, he is just laying on the floor and not even curly up, he just looks dazed and staring into space, he is drinking but he still will not walk for more than a few yards then he comes to a stop, he is obviously weak, he has a wee every so often and cannot hold his leg up but he has not pooed at all!!! I will see what the vet thinks later!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS