Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First lesson  (Read 2446 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
First lesson
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:44:59 pm »
Decided this afternoon to drag myself outside, a kind of kick up the rear end if you like. Spending too much time being down. I have been waiting all Summer for Archie our 4 year old Shetland Stallion to go forward for his vetting but he is still without all his front teeth. He has just turned 4 this month so a bit behind for his age. I took him in, put him in the trailer which was great as last year I spent months trying. Then he had his first lunge lesson, not long but he was very quick to pick up the walk, trot and halt on both reins. I would love to break him to drive but a carriage is not cheap, still on my wish list. I have harness which I can use to long rein so plenty I can get on with. Just as we finished he spotted the 2 pigs and became rooted to the spot. I can't say he seemed scared, more interested on what they were and doing.George and Mildred on the other hand decided to put on a show of grunting and squealing.Maybe they thought he would make a good playmate, anyway fair put a smile on my face. ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: First lesson
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 12:11:57 am »
What a lovely description, sabrina.  :)

Isn't it funny how we put off, don't quite get around to spending time with our ponies - and then when we do, we nearly always have a brilliant time with them, even if it's only a short session.

I was talking about this with an experienced horse trainer and we both thought there was a bit of fear of failure in it.  Until we spend time with the new boy / girl, everything is possible.  If we do some work and some problems appear, some of that potential disappears.  So it's kind of scary to go and take the next step.

I have just started working with a Dually (Monty Roberts) halter and am finding it a real boon.  All but one of the ponies (Mrs Bossy Boots - doesn't like anyone else being boss) took to it right away and are loving the attention.  It gives me a huge amount of confidence, so I do more with them and am a lot more calm and able to give them leadership.  I'll hit problems again downstream when we get to things I don't know very well myself, of course!   :D  But for now it's a joy.

Hmmm, reading your story again - I must get Flossie on that Dually back into the pig pen ...  The trouble is, pigs give way to no-one and are always interested in feet!   ::)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

calamityjane

• Joined Aug 2011
  • sauchie
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:22:35 am »
my ponies were scared silly with the pigs don't mind now but was very funny shetlands didn't mind harry my welshy used to be scared of chickens lol he is ok now same with the ducks we are hoping to cart our welshy our my gypsy next year have you put an ad up there is facebook and a few sites sell horsey stuff on there might be worth trying horsechitchat i like horsey stuff for sale in scotland but there is lots of chat for sale sites

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 02:19:04 am »
horses are a wonderful tonic they have a fantastic ability to make us smile, god bless em.  :horse: :wave:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 04:50:00 pm »
Blue makes me laugh everytime the farrier comes. I tell the farrier not to have anything in his back pockets or it will go missing and on cue Blue removes all items from pockets when the farrier is busy.
He even decided that a rambler the other day had something interesting in there pocket and harrased them all the way across the field until eventually they gave in and gave him a mint.
He rounds the sheep up at meal times and brings them down the field and at 10am every day he runs up the top field to stand next to the church gate and wait for the old gent from the cottage to come round with his carrots.
He walks through the village with me like a very well trained (LARGE) dog on a lead and loves nothing better than to take the bottom road so he can see the little kids and have a fuss made and on a warm day he likes you to lie in the field with him he is a big gentle giant.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »
Ellisr, your boy Blue sounds like a gem! :love:
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS