Author Topic: butter  (Read 6757 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: butter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 11:23:39 pm »
Anke, your calcs look about right to me.

My milking, skimming and butter-making is all by hand and rough-and-ready, plus the Jersey milk is very very rich and creamy, of course.  I take 2-2.5 L of milk a day, mostly skim the cream off for butter, make butter every other day or so in a jam jar.  

I don't know if you've had a go at making butter from your goats' milk yet?  If not, I would urge you to have an experimental go and see just how much you like the butter - and what you feel about the amount of work it is - before splashing out on equipment.  Even with a seperator and an electric churn, there's still a lot of washing and working the butter to get the buttermilk and then the water out and stop it getting an 'off' taint very quickly.  Because I only make enough for a day or two (for two of us) at a time, it doesn't really have a chance to get very 'off', but if you are making nearly a pound a day you will need it properly cleaned (or all be happy to have that hint of sourness in your butter.)

I didn't ever expect that I would make all our butter, I thought it would be special occasions only.  But we both love it so much we couldn't bear to go back to shop-bought manufactured pale tasteless stuff!  I even use it for cooking - I can't bring myself to pick up the shop-bought manufactured pale tasteless stuff and sully a cake with it.  

I will need to get a supply of well-cleaned stuff stocked up in the freezer for lambing, though...  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS