Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I'm so proud of my OH  (Read 3664 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
I'm so proud of my OH
« on: June 10, 2011, 08:09:31 pm »
OH has made my large peg loom and a few small ones for friends http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shoebox-Jewellery-Designs/118495371507757#!/photo.php?fbid=220528637971096&set=a.156312661059361.25553.118495371507757&type=1&theater
He was made redundant a bit back but seems now focused on these so it allows me to weave and him to make  a bit pocket money ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: I'm so proud of my OH
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 08:21:08 pm »
What can you make with these looms?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:53:16 pm »
rugs, heavy winter blankets, scarves, cushion covers, table mats, belts the list is endless. you can use any medium you want. My friend uses old carrier bags with her kids and they make sit mats for when they are out or do longer pieces and sew them to make bags it is such a simple craft and the only limit is your imagination.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:28:26 pm »
OOOOOOOOOOMG !
Why have I never seen these before  :o
I think I may have found the way to stop smoking  ;) ;D
I have loads of old fabric laying around, plenty of wood and the ability to knock one of these looms up pretty quick AND I need rugs, scarfs, bags etc  ;D ;D ;D
FANTASTIC  ;D THANK YOU Ellisr  :-* I know what I'll be doing over the weekend  ;)
Karen  :wave:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:36:46 am »
Go for it I'm half way through a fleece hearth rug. If you have never done this before make a smaller loom first to get the hang of it, when you have got it then go for it I'm using a 1.25meter loom for my rug and washed raw ryeland wool and it looks great my next project is with some old sheets. I'm trying to get some coloured fleeces to mix with the white to make some patterns.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 08:10:41 am »
Oh that looks interesting! I thought I was going to have to wait to weave rugs til I could afford a floor loom (and had got spinning sorted out  :D)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 08:18:27 am »
Just twist it in your fingers you soon get the feel of if and you can make it as chuncky or fine as you like. If your fleeces are cleanish then weave before washing and wash the finished item afterwards to start the felting process which these rugs do over time any way. Using unwashed wool can sometimes be easier as it sticks together more when twisting it I have a few fleeces which I am going to do this with as I need some bath mats.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 09:15:06 am »
Oh, that's even better  ;D
I hadn't realised you could weave with fleece without having spun it first  ::) I've really never had much to do with fleece/wool  :-\ Do you need to 'card' it (*she says like she know's what she's talking about*) or just pull it straight from the fleece ?
Karen x

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 09:25:10 am »
Just pull it straight from the fleece and it will give you a rustic thick finished piece that will naturally felt with time or washing. I sell a lot of my fleeces for crafts like this, the large rug I'm making will probably take 2 of my smaller fleeces but a bag or seat mat will take much less.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 12:38:40 pm »
Bet it makes your hands soft too with ll that lanolin  ;D  Do you have a price list on your website? Might have a go with a smallish one to see how I get on - I'm not in the slightest artistic, and pretty well cack handed. Do you give instructions with them?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 01:57:27 pm »
This is a link to OH's folksy shop http://www.folksy.com/items/1879289-Peg-loom?shop=yes he has 2 sizes on there and is making a middle size that will be good for cushion covers etc

I can write simple instructions and you can find a few different ways on the web just find a way that suits you.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:00:51 pm by ellisr »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS