Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A lot of hatching going on here  (Read 1655 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
A lot of hatching going on here
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:07:37 pm »
I sat two big hens on big eggs, and one bantie on little eggs - but forgot what date they started sitting.  Yesterday, for some reason,  I thought it must be either time, or past time .....but complete silence from under all three hens.  Oh well,  I thought, maybe its another few days after all.

This morning, definite cheeping from under the bantie, and one of the hens, and now the other chicks must have heard the clucking and cheepng alongside them, and they too have decided its time to emerge.  Looking forward to seeing what the big chicks will look like - don't usually hatch big eggs.

Blooming farm cats are taking a great interest in the hen crates, but fortunately cannot get in.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: A lot of hatching going on here
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 02:47:21 pm »
Great stuff, we are just hatching our last turkeys, two batches of ducks, another batch of meat chooks and then the pedigrees to go!!!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:15:28 am »
I have been like a mother hen myself, checking whats hatched.  One big hen, has definitely 5, bantie has definitely got 4, but other hen only had one lonely looking chick when I left tonight, but surely more to hatch.  Phew, all my huts will be full at this rate.  Already got 10 bantie chicks and 2 ducklings

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 06:30:38 am »
we have one hen on 2 turkey eggs and an incubator with 9 in.........
hoping for a better hatch rate (3 last time)
due in one week (i think)

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:11:23 am »
Good luck avegot 4 broodied judt now due on 16th and 22nd and the 30th so busy time for me haha

Have fun with the chicks
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS