Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding weaners 4 to 8 weeks old  (Read 2189 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Feeding weaners 4 to 8 weeks old
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:49:23 pm »
Could anyone tell me how much weaners need in the way of extra nuts, over and above the sow's milk, in the period between 1 and 2 months old?    I know that when they are weaned properly at 8 weeks old the traditional quantity is 2 lbs per day per piglet.    Now at 4.5 weeks old our ten piglets seem to be consuming vast quantities of their mum's nuts, much to her annoyance (and a flying piglet this evening), so we usually spread some extra around her bowl at approx. 4 oz per piglet per day, which gets eaten very quickly, but I am wondering if this should be increased over the next 3.5 weeks, not just for them, but to allow the sow to eat what she needs herself.    If so, how much more should the piglets have?   Or will they be getting enough food with just this basic amount plus her milk, and then suddenly on weaning day give them 2 lbs each per day?    All 11 pigs, babies and mum, look fine and are neither skinny or fat, but there is increasing competition (and noise) every meal to gulp down the maximum possible.    Would much appreciate some advice - Tamsaddle 

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: Feeding weaners 4 to 8 weeks old
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:56:49 pm »
I usually start feeding the piglets at 3 weeks and by the time they are the age of yours I would have them on 1 pound of feed each per day and then gradually increase it to 2 pound by the time they are 8 weeks and so on.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Feeding weaners 4 to 8 weeks old
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:52:11 am »
I tend to feed ad lib whilst they are in with the sow, at 8 weeks I start the 1lb per month of age.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS