Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie to potatoes  (Read 1530 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Newbie to potatoes
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:03:11 pm »
We are having a go at potatoes for the first time this year  :)
We have 1st earlies and 2nd earlies, then my Mum bought me 4 of the potato bag planters as a birthday present  ;D
We ended up planting them all out at about the same time (next year we will do a bit more staggering!) and had our first harvest yesterday from a couple of the 1st early plants - 700g from 2 plants and they were very scrumptious  ;D ;D
Anyway I'm scared stiff of Blight after horror stories about it from a colleague at work. Should I be worried this early? I've just cut back 3 plants that had what I thought were dodgy looking leaves - is there anything else I should/need to do?
Thanks for reading the ramblings of a Newbie  :wave: :wave:
Tish

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Newbie to potatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:36:59 pm »
Potato Blight and fly strike in sheep happen at the same time, when the weather is warm and humid, night temps above 10C and no wind.

Don't forget that you don't have to dig up the whole plant to get your first taste.  If you scrabble around under several plants you will find a few tubers which are larger than the rest - take those and leave the plant to crop on.

Don't panic too much about blight - even if the tops are badly affected you will get some sort of a crop, although it's best not to store the tubers for long.  If you are really worried or there is a high incidence in your area, next year choose blight resistant varieties.  1st and 2nd earlies are usually cropped before blight becomes too much of a problem.  Tomatoes can get blight too and that's much more of a disaster for me as I'm a total tomato addict  :love: ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Newbie to potatoes
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:48:31 pm »
Many thanks for the info - have pushed down my panic feelings and looking forward to continued harvesting of our tatties  ;D
Tish

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS