Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2nd go at Shearing, ding ding round two  (Read 6017 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: 2nd go at Shearing, ding ding round two
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 03:24:56 pm »

Wouldn't dare put on the picture of the one that would not be caught for the shearer last year and so we did her ourselves, definately a should

have gone to specsavers ad  ;D ;D ;D
Anne

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 06:40:33 pm »
Ahh sorry ellisr I didnt realise !!

yes all done on saturday, all went well and they all look pleased to get rid of there jackets !! have a look at my romney tup with no jacket  ;D ;D

But its a strange thing when I am checking them everyday, I have to take my time as I cant reconise them !!

Look at your shearing now, well done you.

I can never recognise my bunch after they have there jackets taken off. I normally just refer to them as naked sheep until they grow a bit again and I can recognise them.

PS can I pinch spy?

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 09:29:03 pm »
you can try and pinch him but I dont think he would leave me lol, such a great companion and now getting so good with the sheep hes addicted to them, and now Ive moved on from hand signals to voice commands, not traditional tho Im afraid, "back" means left and  "this way" means right, works a treat and when I want him to get around the back of the sheep I say "get around" and he gets behind them
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 05:36:17 pm »
Your lucky my collie is scared of sheep so he has ended up as a pet but never mind I don't have that much land and the sheep are bucket trained

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 12:50:35 am »
its a strange thing when I am checking them everyday, I have to take my time as I cant reconise them !!
I can never recognise my bunch after they have there jackets taken off. I normally just refer to them as naked sheep until they grow a bit again and I can recognise them.

Does anyone else find that the sheep don't recognise each other either and have to do a whole load of shoving and jostling to re-establish their pecking order?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 10:16:36 am »
Does anyone else find that the sheep don't recognise each other either and have to do a whole load of shoving and jostling to re-establish their pecking order?

Yes. It usually takes quite a few sniffs (and bleats) for the babbies to find their mums....

:sheep:  :love:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:25:28 pm by OhLaLa »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 10:41:02 am »
There's a whole lot of research showing that sheep recognise eachothers faces, even after 2 years, but they use lots of other cues too such as smell (old fleece  :D) and overall body shape, not just face, and probably body movements as do humans, but the research seems a bit fixated on facial recognition.  They also recognise eachother by call, which is how the mums and littlies get back together.  We shear our ewes by hand out in the field so the lambs watch the process and it's easier for them to know that this strange new sweet smelling creature is still mum  8) :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS