Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from East Mids!  (Read 3447 times)

Eljay

• Joined May 2011
Hello from East Mids!
« on: May 22, 2011, 09:24:28 pm »
Hi everyone

We are fairly new to smallholding.. Ive always had horses since being very young but never at home and havent ever been in the right position to get somewhere with any land. After many years waiting for the right time (with work, having children etc) we have finally just completed on a lovely property in Kettering with stables, 7 acres of grazing, a lovely garden area and veg plot. Completely new to the area as we are moving from Manchester!

Me and my dad (we will be joint tenants, I dont still live at home :p) are going down to collect keys and wait for my horses (I have 3) arriving on Wednesday and my children will be joining us on Thursday!

All very exciting but Im a little nervous, the land is in need of a bit of TLC before I can graze on it which is something I have no clue about as Ive always been on livery yards so never managed land myself..  ??? and my horse is due a foal in 3 weeks so im feeling a little under pressure at the moment but im trying to remain calm about it all!  ;D

Look forward to getting advice from more experienced smallholders and I'm sure ill have lots of questions over the next few weeks  ::)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Hello from East Mids!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:04:45 pm »
Hi welcome from Kent  :wave:

The folks on here are friendly and helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions everyone had to start somewhere.
Good luck with the move.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:10:08 pm »
Hi and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

In for a penny, in for a pound  ;D Ask away - we'll try and help.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:16:49 pm »
Hi from yorkshire  :wave:

Its all new to me too!!
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:47:24 am »
Hello from north Cumbria.  Best of luck with your new property - you will never want to go back to having your horses somewhere else!  And best of luck with the foaling - pictures please when it happens!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:49:03 am »
Hi and Welcome from Clackmannan, sounds all very exciting and I used to live in Market Harborough, my duaghters still are around there so I know Kettering well!! I think having your own land for your horses is ideal!!! Hope all goes to plan  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:40:58 am »
Hello from Brittany.  Congratulations on your own land.  Hope everything goes well for the foaling.  loads of really clever people on here will give good advice and more importantly, encouragement .

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:08:34 am »
welcome, from central scotland :wave:

Micki

• Joined Jan 2008
  • North Notts
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 12:18:55 pm »
Hello, i'm also in east midlands but quite far from you as i am near Retford. Good luck with the new venture and the foal. It is very exciting when your mare is due to foal, i can still remember being very worried when Danser was due and that was 20 years ago!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 12:26:16 pm »
Hi and welcome  :wave: from Sue in Worcestershire - It all sounds very exciting  ;D
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 08:38:04 pm »
hello and welcome from Derbyshire  :wave:
Little Blue

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:27 pm »

Hello from far-flung Kinlochbervie!

We used to live in Little Harrowden, just outside Kettering, and I worked in the town for more years than I care to add up.

Eljay

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 10:18:09 pm »
Aw thanks everyone! We are going to a little village called Grafton Underwood. Its a lovely place but doesnt even have a local shop lol.. definitely not something I'm used to considering I'm now in the centre of a very large town (Bolton), looking forward to it though  ;D

Only 1 day to go now  :o

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 10:27:34 pm »
Hi & welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 10:09:19 am »
Hi from the South Coast :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS