Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trio of LLAMAS for sale  (Read 5071 times)

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Welshpool- Shropshire/ Powys
Trio of LLAMAS for sale
« on: May 22, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »
Due to a house move, we have a trio of llamas looking for new homes.

First is Buddy - a castrated male born on 25th December 2009. (18months old). He was born on Christmas Day and the breeder that we bought him from left him and his mother outside. Unfortunately, he lost the end of his ears due to frost bite. Has done some halter training work and took to it very quickly. He is a very loving llama and gets on brilliantly with other llamas and sheep/goats/horses.

Tia - born 7th August 2009 (coming up to 2 years old). She is homebred and registered with the British Llama Society. She is a timid, friendly llama but has been halter trained and is fantastic with other llamas and stock.

Lucy - born 14th August 2010 (coming up to 10 months old) Lucy was also homebred, and both parents can be seen. She is a very very friendly llama. She is currently in the process of being halter trained and is eligable for registration with the Llama society.

All the above llamas are up to date with vaccinations and wormers.

Ideally they would go to a new home as a trio. However, provided that they have the company of other llamas we do not mind them going individually or two as a pair.

Pictures available on request!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 07:00:01 pm by BrookfieldFarm »

wellywearer

• Joined Feb 2011
Re: Trio of LLAMAS for sale
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:47:08 am »
oh my gosh - can't think of anything I'd like more!! AND you're in the same county as me! Sadly fear that I can't afford them, we've got ourselves in the position of having the smallholding we wanted but all money going on mortgage...... Please post some pics so that I can dream and hopefully someone else will be able to give them a good home :llama: :llama: :llama:

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:43:13 am »
They aren't as expensive as you might think! We arent a big breeder so arent looking for big breeder prices. Here is a picture of Lucy the youngest.

Elliott :llama:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 02:52:36 pm »
They aren't as expensive as you might think!

could you give us a clue? :)

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 03:02:15 pm »
Okay, so a standard breeder would sell young females from 900 - 1500 and males from 400+.

We are not looking for those sorts of prices as we purely want a good home for the llamas.

So Buddy - £250
Lucy and Tia - £500 each.

However, if they were to go together / two as a pair, we would obviously be flexible on the price if we were assured they were going to a good home.

Cheers, Elliott.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 03:16:55 pm »
As someone who has been looking round for a female llama for her lonely intact male, those prices sound very reasonable.  I do not think our llama would be nice to a castrated male though, but ther ladies may be of interest I am sure. :)

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 03:42:09 pm »
Well Roxy as I say, the females can go separately to homes with other llamas or as a pair as we have company for whoever gets left behind!.
How old is your male?

Elliott

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:43:50 pm »
Our boy is three.  We bought him at a year old as a guard for our poultry - with the intention of having him castrated, but our vets are not at all keen on llamas, for castration or otherwise.  He shares the field with one pet castrated tup, a small gelding, and several male castrated goats, plus the two intact billy goats when they are let out in the field, and some female goats too, so he has plenty of company, but I am sure a female llama would be of more interest to him.

As I still want to have a llama for guard purposes, I have considered selling our intact one - to the right home - and having a castrated male instead.  Its finding the right home, which must be experienced of course for an intact male.

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 06:50:12 pm »
Hmm We have had two males castrated before (one 4 year old and Buddy (for sale)) and the vets seemed to have no problem with it. The whole thing probably took no more than half an hour. If your vets would be willing to do the operation it would save a lot of money! Especially if he is content with the company he has currently.

wellywearer

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:24:57 pm »
Oh, perhaps if I raid everyone's savings....? What is the best price you could accept? I haven't worked out how to to put pics on here, but can email you some pictures of our fields etc so that you can see that they would have a happy home in the Brecon Beacons. How soon do you need them to go? If we can agree a price, we would like to come and look and ask lots of questions about caring for llamas, but are away over the bank holiday weekend. Can you post some more pics?

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 07:08:52 am »
The Brecon Beacons sound ideal! I will PM you my email address so that we can swap photos and discuss further.
Elliott.

wellywearer

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 09:18:56 am »
Thanks, have emailed you. Off to work now so hope to hear frm you later. Not a lot of Llama talk on the forum, are you and Roxy the only keepers or is it just that nobody has any problems with them?!!  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS