Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ragwort  (Read 14085 times)

herdsman

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Ragwort
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 08:15:47 pm »
The caterpillars are common in somerset but I have never seen them totally wipe out an infestation. The weed has been notifiable for years but unfortunately the local authorities dont seem to take it seriously. You need to start complaining to your Local Authority early as they take ages to come and look and by then its flowered and gone to seed.
I have pulled it for years and you do see a reduction but you only have to look at the verges and the way the seeds fly every time a lorry passes to know you are onto a never ending task.
When fresh it has a very bitter taste but once it gets broken and wilts then horses and cattle will eat it.
I to have seen horses die of Ragwort poisoning and hope I dont ever see it again. it must be one of the most painful ends I have ever seen.
May be a name and shame campaign on your local pony club web site or similar may help but you wont make any friends.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 08:40:42 pm »
I'm assuming that your legislation is similar to ours as we steal most of it from you. Under the 'Noxious Weeds Act', it is illegal to allow Ragworth to grow on your land...believe it or not if you complain to the police they will affix a notice on the land 'requiring such person to destroy such noxious weeds', failure to comply is an offence. 'any person authorised by the Minister may enter upon such land with or without workmen, horses, or machines and may destroy the noxious weeds to which such notice relates. The Minister may recover from any person on whom a notice has been served under this section in respect of such land as a simple contract debt in any court of competent jurisdiction the amount of the costs and expenses incurred in the destruction of such noxious weeds'.

There's plenty of legislation out there, have a look at http://www.languard.co.uk/invasive-weed-management/legislation/ for the specific UK legislation, and go from there. Best of luck.

Morgan

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 09:13:39 pm »
Ive got my trust ragwort fork and intend to start pulling this weekend, love the idea of a ragwort party though lol any excuse x  ::)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 10:08:08 pm »
Buachallán buí this is what its called in ireland. spent a summer pulling it from the root. good times.

Hardfeather

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 11:06:34 am »
Just remember to wear protective gloves when you're handling it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 01:00:49 pm »
Why? We never did.  Does the sap have something horrid in it?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 01:16:56 pm »
yes Annie it does !!!! http://www.natural-animal-health.co.uk/ragwort.htm
 It is poisonous to humans too , although I am not sure how much is lethal . It is a cumalative thing and is best avoided as much as possible . Always wear gloves when pulling as you always crush the stems slightly when pulling and the sap could then be absorbed !!!! This doesn't mean that because you have pulled it in the past without gloves , that you are popping your clogs !!!! just wear gloves in future mate......I too used to handle it without gloves , but I always try to wear them now when handling it......No need to worry about it though .....just remember to wear gloves....

cheers

Russ

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 11:11:18 pm »
cheers mate the Marigold Rubber Gloves are going on in future.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 11:31:40 pm »
Well, not to worry, I've moved since anyway so don't have the problem - however, what I DO have is contact dermatitis on both hands - started before I moved here - might that be the cause?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 12:36:19 am »
not as far as I know Annie.....I haven't heard of it causing that .....Ragwort gets the liver and when there is enough poison gathered in the system  it sort of switches it off. Giant hogweed can cause very serious rashes if contact is made with the sap . Some people are affected just by touching the plant, and some end up with a permanent type rash !!! Wether it could be that or not I don't know ? So many things can cause contact dermatitis it would be very hard to work out what did it . Lots of glues can cause it even fibre glass resin . It is a wonder I don't have it !! as I have had my hands covered in such stuff , I never wore gloves for anything  :o.

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS