Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Working Shetland Ponies  (Read 22874 times)

Sazwaz

• Joined Jul 2008
Working Shetland Ponies
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:28:58 pm »
Hiya,
I have a young shetland pony that I want to use to do useful jobs like carrying kindling, and maybe harrowing or even topping our small field. Does anyone have any experience of this, or know of someone who might? At the moment he's two years old and I want to start training him so that I can use him when he's old enough, but it would help if I knew what I'm aiming at! At this stage I have no idea how he'll carry the wood for instance. I'm assuming all this is possible, after all farmers have been using them for hundreds of years but I can't seem to find anyone who still uses them for this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 :-\ :horse:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Working Shetland Ponies
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 08:22:23 pm »
If you google "dales logger" you'll get a website of a chap who works Dales ponies. He does courses - the pony size would be different but the principles would be the same. The Shetland Pony Society might be able to help - otherwise it might be a trip to Shetland!

I think it's a great idea to have your pony working - gives them a sense of purpose. I have a Highland pony and if we'd had more land, i woudl have tried to work him. Getting equipment seems to be a problem though - and I'm not very technical.

Please  let me know how you get on - I'd be really interested in your progress.

Sazwaz

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:04:34 pm »
Thanks, Rosemary. Will look into that and will def let you know. :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:40:12 pm »
"Smallholder" magazine has a comment in the editorial this month about working ponies and availablility of suitable equipment. I have emailed them suggesting that it would be a good feature, given that the rising price of fuel might cause a resurgence in working ponies (as opposed to heavy horses).

No engineers / metalworkers looking for a new small business opportunity?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:06:38 pm »
I've just put a diary entry on about a product called the saddle chariot www.naturaldriving.co.uk Dont get bogged down in Simon's battle with the equestrian establishment - that's an unfortunate diversion on the website.

The interesting thing is that Simon uses the saddle chariot as a forecart to operate various agricultural equipment designed for ATVs such as a harrow, mower, cart etc. His main pony, Henry, isn't an Exmoor (although he looks like one) is about 10-11 hands, I think. The harness and saddle chariot can be made to fit any horse.

I'm hoping that Simon might get up to Scotland sometime soon. If so, I'm hoping to try the saddle chariot and report back. If anyone else is interested, let me know.

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 09:39:57 pm »
hello Rosemary,
                 I have a good link here for lots of easy to make carts for donkeys and oxen. OK I know not many will have oxen to work with , but the carts are all easily made to fit whatever size horse or pony you may have. There are plans for both wooden and metal carts and it would be easy to fit a bar at the back which has a tow hitch on and then you can pull anything !!!! All very cheap and easy to make , very good simple designs . All adaptable to fit your own needs too. Hope thay are of some interest ....

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/eng/research/dtu/pubs/animals/

cheers Russ.

Lesley

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 06:05:11 pm »
Hi,
First time on site and only just spotted your item re working your Shetland pony.  We breed and show standard shetlands and I drive and work our gelding.  I have a small set of chain harrows which he pulls very easily and he can easily get into places around trees that the small tractor cannot.  They are very easy to break in.  Your article is quite a few months old so you may be sorted but if I can be of any help drop me an e-mail.

Lesley

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:28:43 pm »
Hi, Lesley

Where did you get the chain harrow? Where are you? Any pics?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 07:15:02 pm »
Try www.thordale.co.uk, they breed and work there shetlands, have ponies that carry baskets with hay etc to the others in the winter, well worth a look  :)

I have just given up breeding but still drive one of my ponies, I would like to get a small plough if possible and one of my friends saw one years ago but no luck on finding one. :)

Hardfeather

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 11:25:16 am »
Hi Sazwaz

I work with horses and ponies every day (on a Highland Pony stud, and with my own, and do freelance work as well), and I've started a few Shetland ponies for driving.

I see your pony is a 2 yr old; what can you tell me about his temperament/attitude, your handling of him, and any training you have done with him to date?

I know the ladies at Thordale and they are very experienced with native ponies generally, and Shetlands in particular...........they would be able to supply you with 'klibber' tack, which is a type of pack saddle and is what was used traditionally to carry baskets with peats and feed in Shetland. These ladies know me as 'Aengus Og' in case you wish to mention me to them.

Shetland ponies are no different to any other horse when it comes to preperation for work, in that they have to be well handled, biddable, steady to noise/traffic/other potentially scary stimuli before they can be expected to start training for work.

Although your pony is still too young to start in work, there are still many things you can be doing to help the training process to be enjoyable and (hopefully) successful when the time comes, such as halter training, walking out in hand, feet lifting, introduction to some items of tack, and bitting (if you plan to use a bit).

Provided you are sensible when doing those things, your pony should be ready to start training for work as a 3 yr old, with a view to starting some light work when he is four.

Keep any lessons short and interesting, asking him to perform simple tasks, bearing in mind that he may take a wee while to understand what you require of him but, as long as he's willing to offer something, you just keep asking till he gets it right, then praise with the voice...........Shetlands are quick learners, although that applies to bad habits too. ;)

Work out a repertoire to use when you are training him and stick to the same commands all the way through, as too many different commands can easily confuse youngsters.

If you find that things are not going so well any time, ask him to do something he's good at, and stop there for the day, then try again another time, and don't worry if things go wrong.........as long as you work safely it's all grist to the mill in terms of the end result..........like us, horses have to learn from their mistakes sometimes.

Good luck.  :)

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 03:15:35 pm »
Its nice to see people who use these little ponies, instead of them just getting fat in the feild. I had horses for years and was given a shetland foal, as we had horses and the people who had him didn't know what to do with him. It gets me so mad when my horsey freinds come over and see him (hes 14 now) and say "what you doing with that!!?" he's been the most useful of all the animals on our smallholding (more so than the tractor.) he dose everythig from carrieing post and nails around to pulling bolders out of the way. so much more handy than starting a tractor (which only works when it wants to) and alot more entertaining!! I never "Trained" him it was just trail and error, if something needed doing between the two of us we would get it done, i find trust is best thing to have, he trusts i'll never do anything to hurt him or ask him to do thing that are to much for him and he in return try his best to do as i ask!! So good luck with your shetland i hope like me you have loads of fun!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 11:50:01 am »
Shetland ponies owners will tell you that these little ponies see themseves as big horses, are very strong, loving and great to have around. Due to my health we gave up breeding last October and parting with my mares was heart breaking as they all in their way were like members of our family. I have kept two young colts and a gelding who is ride and drive. My grandchildren love them as do my neighbours and people who are staying in the area on holiday are always keen to take pictures. Needless to say the ponies know when to pose with faces that say that they are just so cute. A Shetland is much happier doing a job of work than standing in a field. I had an 18 hand horse that when the weather was bad the Shetland gelding would take shelter underneath, he was the boss.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS