Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using manure as fuel?  (Read 17304 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: Using manure as fuel?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 02:53:57 pm »
Mine are pretty much just on grass right now with a very small feed for the oldies supplements. In the winter I feed cherry chaff ... mmmmm ... might leave the woodburner doors open then!!  ;) ;D

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 07:38:42 pm »
OK gotcha your using only pure well dried horse muck on it's own as a fuel ...
Thought .....
Set up a shed of removable chicken wire racks load up from the top and work your way down .
install homemade stove with a long internal flue pipe to use as much heat as p[ossible made from a  gas cyl ( ebay ? if you don't posess the skills )  .. turn the store into a quality drying shed ... store  fully dried fuel in poly feed bags & seal them up for winter   use a bit of fuel to work the dryer .. use the rest in the home if as you say it does not smell offensive but sweet herbal ( perhaps like the cow pat I used in my bee smoker )

It would be a good way to prevent  " Pony sickness & worms etc " from using contaminated ground , like has been said the ash may be a good fertilizer holding potash as well .

additional thought .. keep an eye on the flue pipe for tar residue Not sure if you will get it . Use " scoot or imp " to clear it .

T hat warmed damp but drying air .. duct it to through a heat exchanger set of pipes in a big box & blow the clean warmed air it into a poly tunnel and see if it is any good for winter heating /crop growing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:15:28 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Sandy

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 10:19:31 pm »
I had a thought on drying logs the other day, collect some shopping trolly's and fill them and roll them into a shelter and wheel them out when needed!!!!! (I had a few trollies in an old house once as I lived near to a major supermarket,,I did wheel them all back one sunday morning)

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 09:49:42 am »

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 09:52:40 am »
I use an old bread rack trolley on wheels and find on good sunny days it drys really quickly, but when its damp it does suck moisture into it (like a sponge)
Plantoid you lost me .... im only allowed a philips screw driver  ::) so may need to get a man in  ;) ;)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 12:00:19 pm »
I use an old bread rack trolley on wheels and find on good sunny days it drys really quickly, but when its damp it does suck moisture into it (like a sponge)
Plantoid you lost me .... im only allowed a philips screw driver  ::) so may need to get a man in  ;) ;)

First find your man with  a hot flame & the right sized tools  :love:   ;)  then google " gas bottle stove"  or " home made gas bottle stove ".. or go on youtube and enter similar names .. there are zillions  just watch out for the safety stuff .

Don't use Calor bottles  .... that's stealing  , use a company that does not have a returns policy ..here we use West Wales Gas as they are one way sales.

Just  had a though or two about  making the bricks .. to get a really solid brick of muck  that will burn for ages I'd consider obtaining a 2 foot length of hollow square tube which has a wall thicknes of about 8 mm .  Drill a retaining pin hole at one end to take a 1/2 inch pin , slide in a fabricated end stop .
When tube is full of  plop   use a car jack  retained in some heavy chain to jack another fabricated end stop up the tube to compress the  muck to about 6 inches or so long ( say giving it wellie with a two tonne  bottle jack ).
 Leave it for an hour  or so for the  brick to compact and lose any liquids it is able to lose  and then ease off the jack , remove the pinned end stop and jack out the heavily compressed block of  potential fuel .
Now place the block on the drying rack for a week or so  ( perhaps checking the weight loss of a fully dried block ) then seal it in a reuseable poly bag to keep it dry till needed .
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:15:06 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 01:16:22 pm »
First find your man with  a hot flame & the right sized tools 

Thanks Plantoid I think I will stick to the above advice and see how we go  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS