Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone know anyhing about pigeons?  (Read 2501 times)

spam

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Lewes UK
Anyone know anyhing about pigeons?
« on: February 04, 2009, 07:11:29 pm »
I'm looking to get some pigeons for my garden. I just want them to look nice and I've heard there are some which can do backflips? Is my leg being pulled and does anyone know about the sort of housing they'd need?

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Anyone know anyhing about pigeons?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:32:44 pm »
Hello Spam.
I keep Birmingham Rollers.Small pigeons that have feathered feet and are cute like bantams.
If I remember it right....
Rollers 'roll' forwards in flight.
Tumblers roll sideways in flight.
Tiplers roll backwards in flight.
all to avoid the hawks catching them...They were kept by racing bird keepers as decoys to make a hawk think a smaller bird in a flock was an easy catch...untill they roll just before the hawk grabbed them..
Taken to the degree type Roller or tippler into google and see what they can do...amazing :o
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Dickson

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Anyone know anyhing about pigeons?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:26:22 pm »
I think you are right, I vaguely remember tumblers which were really quite cool!  :)

I think the Federation show at Stafford features some cool pigeons like that?

I think the excellent publication by Winckley press - called "Feathered World" has load of good articles on all feathered friends including pigeons, cage birds and poultry.  Maybe worth checking that out too.
http://www.winckley.co.uk/index.htm

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS