Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: giant pumpkins anyone?  (Read 2605 times)

deepinthewoods

giant pumpkins anyone?
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:40:09 pm »
i tried last year to little success, this year have devoted more time and space and am about to plant out my best plantling. my daughters school is going to grow one of the plantlings too, with the aim of a guess the weight competition to raise funds for the schools gardening club.
 now moral dillemma, do i keep the best plantling for my effort, or give it to the school... im not normally competitive but have been known to shout 'get in' if i score a goal when playing footy with the toddlers down the park..... ;)
 any tips on growing a giant would be good. tho im not planning on 800 leaves b4 i set a fruit as reccommended on certain sites :o

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: giant pumpkins anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:42:07 am »
Plant them on the manure heap, I accidentally spilt some courgette and pumkin seeds and they ended up on the manure heap and germinated and gave me the best fruits ever.

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 08:02:16 pm »
Do you take the first fruit that appears and keep taking off the other?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:15:33 pm »
no you need a couple to absorb the shock when watering.and you need a big plant b4 u set one. so ive read. we shall see!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:24:09 pm »
Planting in the manure heap if it isn't hen territory is a good idea, or dig a deep hole, a metre cubed (maybe not SO deep  :D) and fill it with manure.  Plant the chosen seedling into a small island of soil, so it doesn't have too much strong manure straight off, but its roots will get down there soon enough.  Don't forget some organically acceptable slug pellets or they will have your plant before it knows it's there  :o.  Once you have a suitable fruit properly set, pinch out the other female flowers - you will need other plants for pollination as it's unlikely your one will have both male and female flowers out at the same time.  Then keep watering it.

How to make the choice of whether to give the school your best plant - well, they only want it for guess the weight, not to grow a mammoth..............
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:34:40 am »
Plant them on the manure heap, I accidentally spilt some courgette and pumkin seeds and they ended up on the manure heap and germinated and gave me the best fruits ever.

Cougettes do really well on the manure heap- have done that a few times. Has the added bonus that all the manure holds a lot of moisture so they don't dry out as much.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS