Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat's nose gone bald  (Read 2597 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Goat's nose gone bald
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:00:05 pm »
Ellie (Old English, three years old) kidded four weeks ago. She is a good weight and apparently eating well, her kids are healthy.

But the 'bridge' of her nose has gone bald and she's losing clumps of hair from between her horns. Can't see any livestock.

Anyone know why and more importantly, what I might do to help?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Goat's nose gone bald
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:16:36 pm »
have you seen her rubbing it?

what condition  is the rest of her coat?

could she be moulting? (our Max is shedding his under-coat fluff like crazy - between him and the german shepherd, the garden looks like theres some kind of fungal infection taking over!)

try her with a spot-on treatment for livestock  - check with vet about the kids, I assume they're suckling still?
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Goat's nose gone bald
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:27:53 pm »
The kids are suckling still and have beautiful, thick coats, as has the goatling.

Ellie shed all her cashmere in the last few weeks before kidding. I haven't seen her rubbing and truthfully she couldn't rub between her horns. The rest of her coat seems quite thin - I've noticed her shedding when I'm stroking her. Could it just be hormones?

I've given her a molassed mineral lick (controlled access  :D) and will give her some Caprivit everyday in case it's vitamins -probably should have been doing that anyway  :-[

Yeh, bit worried about a spot-on cos of the kids. She doesn't seem itchy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS