Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help with broadband provider  (Read 6688 times)

Sandy

Help with broadband provider
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:19:02 pm »
Hi, just looked into changing from BT and found Talk Talk do a package that appears too good to be true, is it? Before anyone says about O 2 or virgin etc, I cannot get them here, been around that block loads of times. I am tied into another "mistake" Unicom for phones but it appears that Talk Talk can provide unlimited Broadband and free phone calls to UK and EUrope for £22.85 a month and I am paying that for my broadband alone, so wonder, whats the catch..HELP comfused  .   com   ::)

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
Re: Help with broadband provider
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:32:42 pm »
i dont have but my mum does and no catches what you see is what you get
sam :chook:

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:34:40 pm »
We've just gone back to BT after being with talktalk for 4 years. I was supposed to have free phone calls so in reality I should only have been paying £12 per month for line rental plus the £5 for enjoying free calls. There wasn't a month where I paid less than £27 once all the little extras were added (0845 numbers etc). I also found them very difficult to contact if there was a problem with the line (please log on to our website...yeah right..how do I do that with no phone line working  ???)

We don't have a choice of broadband providers, it's BT or nothing (something to do with our exchange...I think the hamster is contracted to bt only) so I've gone back to them with a decent package for phone and broadband, works out at around £30 a month including line rental, caller display, choose to refuse etc.

Maybe talktalk are ok, we could just have been unlucky with our package

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 05:40:51 pm »
THey quoted me £22 for unlimited broadband and free phone calls to Uk and Europe, I suppose the catch is they have to be on talk talk too, not sure but at the mo my phone is WELL over £20 a month and broadband also £22 with a download limit and we have reached that already, some nice guests must be catching onto our WI fi and downloading films!!!! so, WI fi will be off for a while....not sure what I will do at nights!! I know, watch TV!!!!! Just seems too good to be true and I will have to pay a break in the contract to Unicom for the phone, I have no contract with BT but I find them very difficult to talk talk to too  ;)

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 06:21:14 pm »
no they dont need to be on talk talk in europe
sam :chook:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:25:20 pm »
we have a long and troubled history with BT ... left them for a while, used just mobiles, then had to pay them line rental for tesco interent access.  theyve tried charging us for overseas calls we havent made, charging us "leaving" fees, and are useless when we've tried to sort it all out.

We are now with talktalk, much cheaper, better wireless internet connection (though still not on all the time)
  the half price deal they're advertising is very good ... though I'm not sure if there's a catch  :)
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 06:33:05 pm »
I was annoyed at BT when I changed my phone package last month I'm still sure tehy have charged nme twice frot eh same calls but will download it all and check ina day or so, but they wanted to double my monthly direct debit to £34, so I sent them a straightforward email telling them that i thought I'd been overcharged and if tehy didn't sort it out I'vd be moving - they wrote back SAME DAY reducing it to £20 which is what it should be.  My broadband isn't limited and is with O2 as my son works for them, so I get family discount (costs just under £8) - total all in I pay £28 for all calls, line rental, 0870, 0845, call waiting, caller ID.  I have tried to phone BT and got people who didn't understand English, accounts, or my anger, but an email seemed to get right to the heart of them!

I had Talktalk at my last house and once we got over the 'no-broadband-for-a-fortnight-because-BT-wouldn't-hand-over-the-MAC-code' all was fine. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 06:44:46 pm »
I have had loads of problems when I phone BT, never seem to get what I am talking about, also, when I did change to Unicom, they did the same, charged me for exactly the same price for calls as Unicom, BUT when I checked it was up until the take over date, mind you, they gave me loads of different excusess like "leaks" ::) We had a man in last week that I suspect clocked stuff up, I was going to ask him to leave but he left anyway, he smoked in his room and also made his bed very very wet, he said sick!!!!! He did give us the money we asked, but I wish I could get a record of how much he used on Broadband, as I said, I could not get acsess to the meter they have!!!!!!!!!!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:35:28 am »
I left BT after years of poor service and a number of stories from previous employees about their sales training/managers attitude.. :o

Went to Talktalk who were much better but they too have their problems and sadly communication is one of them despite the name!  The biggest problem with TT was actually trying to leave them, it was a nightmare and in the end took me months of phone calls, complaints, threats and pleading to get them to admit I'd gone, hadn't had a serivce for x months and therefore shouldn't have been paying them aswell as my new provider who was able to show documents for every transaction they'd sent TT to set up the transfer of services!

I'm now with Sky even tho their broadband isn't free in my area which it is in most.  I pay about £45 a month for line rental, free landline calls up to an hour (I hardly use landline), broadband and the basic Sky TV package which I think is well worth it.  Their call centre is in Glasgow, the service is excellent and they have even managed to remember that I don't want or like sales/service calls and will only look at things they email or post ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 11:11:03 am »
We changed to Plus.net.  The switch over from BT was seamless and they were cheaper than Sky.

http://www.plus.net/

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 01:21:59 pm »
THanks, these posts are really helpful!!

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 03:16:47 pm »
Don't talk to me about Plus Net... biggest bunch of clowns i have ever had to deal with   >:(

They cut you off a day before the direct debit is due & don't reconnect until 24hrs after they receive your cash 

Needless to say we told them where to ram the 12 month contract & went back to BT, who we never had a bit of bother with.

We're with Virgin now, cheaper & a better all round service   :D

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 04:08:56 pm »
Seems like the issues are communication, the provider for phones that I want to leave Unicom, are very very nice over the phone and very quick responses, not once but EVERY time I rang BT, I got some one who could not grasp what I was talking about...eg, when changing over to Unicom got a bill from them as well so they said, some one is using an internet phone!! not got one and don't, some leakage over that will stop....since found thats not the case, and then, on anothe occasion when the internet went down (found it to be a break in our phone cable) they told me that there was something wrong with the computor and to take it back!!!!! I have had all sorts of strange stuff and miss understanding!!!!! FIngers crossed that all goes well as we certainly cannot afford any problems!

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 09:00:15 pm »
wer with bt, unlimited isnt unlimited at all, u can easily go over "fair usage" if ur working online (with the odd !farmers life 4 me"..thrown in!)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 07:14:02 am »
Just goes to show that everyone has different experiences with providers.  It's a bit like trip advisor - for one hotel half the reviews rave over it and the other half hate it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS