Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goslings crush  (Read 2464 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Goslings crush
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:58:49 pm »
We got our first goslings (30 of them) this week and they seem to be settling in ok - eating and drinking well, but they do keep together very tightly in a big pack and I had to rescue one from being crushed this morning. When I came home tonight, I found three goslings jambed into one corner underneath the others - two were dead already and the third I've cleaned up and isolated but don't hold out too much hope for.
So any ideas how to stop this or what I'm doing wrong? My first thought is that they might be too cold if they are huddling so much so if nothing else I'll go and get another lamp tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Ben

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Goslings crush
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:02:29 pm »
put something in to make the corners more round was always taught to keep large amounts in a more round pen than a square one then there is not a corner for them to get stuck in

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:43:36 am »
30 goslings under one lamp sounds a bit of a sqeeze. I would get another lamp, they always come in handy anyway for all sorts of livestock.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:03:40 am »
Goslings do like to be warm until the feathers come in, so I think another lamp and definately round the corners off. They have big clumsy feet and really don't think much about standing on anothers head. Maybe if you get another lamp split them into 2 groups.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 03:35:51 pm »
Thanks everyone, I rounded off the corners with someold bits of board to make an octagonal run and added another big heat lamp in the middle of the run and all has gone well since then. Thanks again for all the excellent advice!

Ben

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS