Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 3204 times)

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
Getting started
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:50:39 pm »
 Hello,

We are planning to get 2 or 3 piglets soon to start our journey to one day having our own smallholding. Do we need to get them all at once ? or can you introduce them at intervals ?
 Any advice would be gratefully received

Thanks

Debbie  :pig:

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: Getting started
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:51:42 pm »
I would get 2 for now,see how you get on, we got 3 initially and the one tamworth was much older than the other 2 glos old spots which did cause problems. pigs are very sociable animals need the company of another. good luck you wont regret it.........neil

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:52:53 pm »
personally i would get them all together so they all know their pecking order from day one and if all for meat then less stressful as they all go off together - but i guess it depends if they are being kept for meat or breeding or pets? no doubt more knowledgable advice then mine will be along shortly - good luck :pig:
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:29:21 pm »
We got six Gloucesters all at the same time.  4 went for pork and we kept the other two on to fatten for bacon.  We now have a further three over the winter and are hoping to expand later this year. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 06:45:46 pm »
A stable group is easiest to manage for you and least stressful for the pigs. Adding new pigs to an established group will need careful management.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 08:52:06 am »
When we first started with pigs we got 2 then another arrived the following day.  Put her in with the other two, and WW3 broke out.  Took a lot of fencing, and some time to reintroduce her to the other two. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS