Author Topic: AI  (Read 14115 times)

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: AI
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 07:31:57 pm »
We did AI on our gilts the first time and were successful.  Smallish litters though...7 and 9 respectively.
The catheters from deerpark are really easy to use, and if you lean on the back end of an "in heat" sow she'll stand there all night!!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 08:31:42 am »
Hi how much was the semen from Deerpark?

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 05:46:44 pm »
I think it was about £25 delivered but that was 2 years ago.  There are now a couple of boars on the island which work out cheaper so we use them.  You should have seen our postman's face when we told him what he was delivering!!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 06:19:15 pm »
The thought of having to explain to our incredibly patient postman, a keen follower of our porcine exploits, in my broken french, the contents of a parcel from Deer Park  defeats me.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 01:25:21 am »
Gavin from Macnean farm has oxford and sandy black. If you live in Northern ireland, maybe he could help. Or maybe he might know of someone in mainland u.k. who has a boar to service your gilt. Google Macnean farm and send him an email. He's very helpful and passionate about matters porcine.

regards

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 11:19:54 pm »
not positive but i think bridgimire, in sw scotland have a OSB boar, might be worth contacting them. In fact just found out they are selling one.
http://www.pig-arcs.co.uk/

Mandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS