Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I can't believe I am doing this  (Read 3322 times)

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
I can't believe I am doing this
« on: April 30, 2011, 06:17:06 pm »
I have just spent a good 15 minutes studying pictures of chicken poo. What a glamorous life I lead. Other women buy fashion magazines or read the gossip columns...me, I look at poo!! Ho Hum  ;D

robert waddell

Re: I can't believe I am doing this
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:21:18 pm »
there must be a reason   sooooooo :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 06:23:07 pm »
So?   ;) I think we touched on this before and we all agreed poo plays a big part in our life's!!! even if you don't have animals you spread it on your veg so to speak. I start the day cleaning up the dog poo and love it now its nice and firm, just slips on the shovel with a good wrist action, then I move on to the chickens, they currently do some big ones and always on the seats I have in their area and the lid of thier feed bin!!!!!
Then I move in to the B&B toilets but fortunately, not usually much evidence of it for me to see  :o  I still have not done that test you get in the post, the last one I had we were very busy and doing tests and breakfast do not mix ;)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:49:39 pm »
I have just spent a good 15 minutes studying pictures of chicken poo. What a glamorous life I lead. Other women buy fashion magazines or read the gossip columns...me, I look at poo!! Ho Hum  ;D
I give it two years before designers are incorporating themes of chicken poo on the catwalk.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:32:49 pm »
 I still have not done that test you get in the post, the last one I had we were very busy and doing tests and breakfast do not mix ;)

Sandy - don't ignore it.  My OH got dragged off to hospital a few months ago after his for more 'in depth' tests and treatment, so it served its purpose of picking up a problem early.  It's much quicker and easier to do the test than you would think - use toilet paper instead of your shovel, scrape a bit on the test thingy and job's done  :D :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 11:48:12 pm »
 I still have not done that test you get in the post, the last one I had we were very busy and doing tests and breakfast do not mix ;)

Sandy - don't ignore it.  My OH got dragged off to hospital a few months ago after his for more 'in depth' tests and treatment, so it served its purpose of picking up a problem early.  It's much quicker and easier to do the test than you would think - use toilet paper instead of your shovel, scrape a bit on the test thingy and job's done  :D :D
I think the shovel is for the dog poo ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 12:11:21 am »

I think the shovel is for the dog poo ;) ;D
I was trying to be discrete, rather than saying 'scoop some poop on to toilet paper'...  ::) You are bad Annie ;D ;D ;D 

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 08:15:11 am »
Yes - as  public Health bod - I would agree with FW on this - much easier to deal with if caught early.

Scraping it off the toilet paper is by far the most practical.

I am the same with all the poo management here. Chicken poo goes on the compost heap with their bedding, sheep poo gets made into liquid fertilizer. I am starting a dog poo wormery (already had one unsuccessful attempt) so that all animal poo is then accounted for.

Next thing after that is a composting loo and then all will be dealt with "on-site"  (or should that be "on-shite"):D :D :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:53:31 am »
 ;D ;D  
Sheep poo is good for more than just poo tea.  If you collect it when it's nicely pelleted, on compacted snow is the easiest as you can just sweep it up (funny looks from townies out for a drive when they see you sweeping your fields  :D), you can store it in lidded buckets then use it for sprinkling direct around your fruit, veg and shrubbery - ready-made pelleted manure. I always take a couple of buckets down to my elderly aunt for her veggies - it's easy for her to handle, no smell, top results.  We also take the rotavator to the bedding in the sheep shelters in the spring which gives nicely composted ready-to-use very fertile manure which can then be rotavated directly into the veg area. It's every bit as good as horse manure and rotavating it in the shelters makes it into small pieces and beats trying to dig it out by hand.
Maybe as we are all spending so much of our lives dealing with poo we should have a new ICON.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:57:14 am »

Can you give us the link to the site, please???? I was trying to find it for ages! And welcome to the club of real women , who cares about fashion if you can look at poo  ;D ;D ;D ;D :&> :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 07:58:48 pm »
 ::) ::) I should get it done again soon but when I have  the urge to go before doing cooked breakfast, I do not like the idea of scooping it and saving it, besides, we use the toilet the guests use most of the time, I can just see thier faces with me comming out with a parcel of poo or the plastic shovel full!!!!! I will do it though, especialy as we are realy quiet and no breakies to cook....Oh, must add, if I am doing breakfasts I do not clear any of our animals poo up until after I have washed the potw   ;) ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:06:19 pm »
Sandy - it's all very discrete, just a letter sized card which you can carry in your pocket, minimum poop involved and you are no more likely to contaminate anything than with a normal wipe :D  Just go for it  :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:43:08 am »
Agreed Sandy, just keep it discrete, and whatever you do, don't share the details with many millions of people via the internet!!  :o
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS