Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Male TAS members near Glasgow (females not wanted - ha!)  (Read 4393 times)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
Male TAS members near Glasgow (females not wanted - ha!)
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:43:29 pm »
Last autumn I applied to become a panel member for the Glasgow Children's Panel - the process in Scotland that all (with very few exceptions) cases involving children go through, criminal and protection. I completed my training on Wednesday and become officially appointed by Scottish Ministers on May 16th.

Now the point of this post. A panel comprises three members of which one must be male and one must be female - no panel can exist with three people of the same gender. In Glasgow, we are desperately short of MALE panel members, making it difficult to run a full schedule. Normally there is one intake a year, in the autumn, with training between January & April. As a result of the desperate need to find more males, they are currently considering running a fast track intake soon, which will be soley for male applicants.

I won't lie, it's a major undertaking. Just applying took a good chunk of my time and the training consists of 7 full days, 3 evening sessions and 3 observation session of real panels before you beging, with a further few days per year being required for ongoing training. You would be expected to sit on around 17 panels per year, each consisting of three cases and each case needing a good couple of hours set aside to study the documents sent out a week or so before you sit.

With all that said, if anyone is in reasonable travelling distance of Glasgow and would like to get some more information on it, please PM me and I'll pass on contact details for the people who are taking a list of interest. From the observations I've done, just being able to keep a sex offender's children safe when there isn't enough evidence to prosecute or seeing children removed from abusive parents thriving with foster carers is incredibly rewarding ... and over 2/3rds of cases are protection rather than criminal - not that the tabloids would tell you that!

Sandy

Re: Male TAS members near Glasgow (females not wanted - ha!)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:25:28 pm »
I have been before the panel for fostering in the past!! Wen you said a panel of three and they cannot be the same sex, I wondered what the third one was 1 male, 1 female and 1 ? Now I get it!! may see you soon then!!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 08:38:25 am »
im too far away to help but good for you Callum

i used to work as a foster carer the good you can do is well worth the effort...

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:15:10 am »
I have been before the panel for fostering in the past!! Wen you said a panel of three and they cannot be the same sex, I wondered what the third one was 1 male, 1 female and 1 ? Now I get it!! may see you soon then!!

I had suggested to the training unit that the third person should be transgender to ensure a truly even gender balance.

I'm not entirely convinced they'll be taking up my advice on the issue.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:25:49 am »
Do they pay expenses? It's a big committment from anyone working (and their employer, if they get time off). Mind you, with more folk on the dole, recuitment might get easier.  :)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:35:10 am »
Do they pay expenses? It's a big committment from anyone working (and their employer, if they get time off). Mind you, with more folk on the dole, recuitment might get easier.  :)
They cover expenses (and get stroppy if you don't claim, as I discovered - it was made quite clear that if their budget isn't used, they will have it reduced and that could affect people who do need to claim expenses later on) but it's a voluntary position, so no payment or loss of earnings etc. Employers are legally obliged to allow a panel members to attend - but you would still need their support for it to avoid things getting messy at work.

Oh oh oh - you're exempt from jury duty while a panel member - can there be a better reason to become one?  ;D

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 01:16:24 pm »
There was other similar jobs that I used to refer people to do when they wanted to gain some experience in Social Care, a well paid one was for the Police, acting as a Responsible Adult (thats me out then) on call for the local Police stations to accompany minors if when arrested :o, mind you, these days there are not many minors left!!!

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 01:25:39 pm »
Yeah. They closed all the mines  ::)

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 10:32:21 pm »
 ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:46:30 pm »
I know someone who is also on Glasgow Children's panel, and she has been saying the same thing for a while- so I would just echo the plea. I don't know why they are fewer men on the panel, but for some reason there are.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS