Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bee keeping course  (Read 2677 times)

oldwolf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Livingston
Bee keeping course
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:37:46 pm »
Whey hey, I start my Bee Keeping course on Tuesday, with the Edinburgh and Mid Lothian Bee Keepers, Let you know how its goes.  I actually bought some hives about  five years ago with the intention of getting started, I'll have to dig them out now. ;D
'And the crowd called out for more'

oldwolf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Livingston
Re: Bee keeping course
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:23:18 pm »
Very interesting course, so far well worth the cost, I have got my first practical session this Saturday. :bee:
'And the crowd called out for more'

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 07:31:20 pm »
Hiya Oldwolf

Sorry, not been on here for a few days - so a belated welcome  :wave:

I used to help my dad with his bees - about 30 years ago :o - & had always wanted to keep them myself, but my next-door neighbour was allergic to bee stings, so out of concern for her health & our friendship didn't take the risk.  We moved up to Scotland over a year ago for my OH's job & have been lucky to find a lovely smallholding of 2 acres, plus renting a field a few miles away for our pigs.

So, OH got me a hive for my birthday last summer & I joined the local KA - met-up with them at a members home & got a late nuc from one of them.  I had been meaning to go over the winter as they had loads of interesting topics on, but unfortunately (due to both of us  being poorly) didn't make any of them.  Got another hive for Christmas, so slowly building-up ;)

My bees have survived the winter, despite my "old-fashioned" keeping techniques ::) & I am trying to get them to a brood & a half at the moment.

Great to find another keeper on the forum - dig out those hives & get some  :bee:  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45:59 pm »
Very interesting course, so far well worth the cost, I have got my first practical session this Saturday. :bee:

Hope the weather is fine for your first practical session, oldwolf. Have you read up on the method used for turning frames? It sometimes takes a little practice to master, might be easier to try on one of your frames at home first - just a thought.

Have fun  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS